Part 19

Slumped against the wall of the Mantis, you felt at peace as the whirring of the ship vibrated through your back . The humming against your bare skin calms you down from the nightmare you had experienced.

Your eyes stung and your face felt hot. It was hard to breathe. Sniffling you swung your legs over the edge of your bed, the ice cold floor making contact with your bare feet. You winced as the dull pain in your abdomen spread across your body as you moved.

"Damn. What the hell you'd do to me, Red?" You groaned, to no one in particular. Clutching the wound you stood up, using your left arm to push up and against the wall for leverage. Once you were on your feet you looked around your room.

From what you saw you could tell that your boots and shirt were taken off in haste, seeing as they were carelessly strewn about . Limping over you used your foot to lift up the articles of clothing you were missing. Slipping your thin shirt on and adjusting the vest over it, you made your way to the small lavatory attached to your room .

Flicking the light on your eyes adjusted to the sudden change in brightness. You looked straight into the eyes of your reflection; matted hair, bruised and battered skin, and heavy bags under your eyes . A nice way to put it would be, you had seen better days.

Contrasting your skin and face your clothes were clean and so were you. You could tell someone had been looking after you while you were unconscious. Pulling your shirt up you saw the fresh bandages carefully wrapped around your torso. You pulled back the white cloth, peeking at the wound. The surrounding flesh was bright red and peeling while the bits of the very center were charred and blackened . Other areas were painfully blistered, the white-yellow pus lurking beneath the raw, leathery skin .

"A lightsaber will do that to you, I guess." You mumbled out into the surrounding silence. Though you had seen injuries much worse, the sight of such severe burns sent chills through your body, almost gagging at the smell too .

The smell was akin to burnt puffer pig and copper, the stench of charred skin and blood an unfortunately familiar one . Pulling back the mirror you rifled through the small medicine cabinet before grabbing the small jar of bacta . Opening the small container of the slimy substance, you smeared it over the injury. You almost instantaneously see some of the tissue regenerating.

You smoothed the gauze back over your wound, deciding you didn't want any more nightmare fuel. Closing the mirror you caught a glimpse of yourself in the mirror.

"I should freshen up..."

The doors to your room opened with a hiss, the light from the hallway seeping into it. Peeking your head out you saw no one, didn't hear anyone from the crew either. You could only hear the sounds coming from the ship itself, nothing more.

Making your way down the narrow corridor, the sound of your boots hitting the metal beneath you echoed off of the walls .

As you made your way through the ship you heard hushed whispers being exchanged back and forth between someone . The voices seemed like they were coming from the captain's deck, hiding behind the walls to the entrance you listened in .

"I'm worried Greez. Their- Their wound- it was so severe. I'm trying to hold onto hope, but I don't know of many who have survived the wrath of a lightsaber." You heard Cere lament.

There was a pause after her comment, one you could only assume the Latero was using to think of as a response.

"They're a strong kid. If anyone can make it, it's them. I know it." Greez finally spoke up, his voice weak and unconvinced.

Having had enough of such a solemn conversation between your two friends you stepped out from the shadows, revealing yourself . "You should trust Greez more, Cere. I mean, do I look dead to you?" You remark, stretching your arms out.