Ch 33: Helpless

"I think it's wise you listen to her, Tyler, please."

        "But, mom--"

        "Tyler, you're old enough to make it on your own, you're an adult man, you can handle this on your own--"

        "It's not that, mom, I want to be HERE. For you and for Marie!"

        "Tyler, please," his mother begged him, "Just do as she says? Maybe go home with Peter until you can get settled into a job and an apartment or something," she suggests before rushing up the stairs after Marie who had just slammed and locked her bedroom door yet again.

        Peter stood near the doorway, feet away from Tyler, and witnessed the whole thing. Marie had practically attacked Tyler with the coal shovel from the fireplace. She got a few hits to his shoulders and back as he ducked to dodge them, but bruises would show within a day. He watched as she yelled, veins in her neck and forehead popping out until finally she screamed, running upstairs and yelling that she disowned Tyler and would never speak to or look at him again. She told him to leave and never come back, even if Kelly was ever found.

        Peter stood, wanting to comfort Tyler, but knowing he didn't want that. Soon enough, Tyler turned, facing him, "I think we should get going now, what about you?" he said, surprisingly calm.

        Peter just nodded, following Tyler out the door and to his car. Once in the car, he asked Tyler where he wanted to go.

        "Anywhere," Tyler replied, "I'm going to find Kelly, Peter. I'm going to find her if it's the last thing I do, but I need you to do something for me."

        "What?"

        "If, for some reason, she ever finds you, or if you find her before me, I need you to tell her something for me."

        "Anything."

        "Tell her I'm gone, on the lamb, anything, I don't care."

        "Why?"

        "I'm not finished. Tell her that mom went back to Europe to live with her brother and his wife. Can you do that?"

        "Sure, but--"

        "Lastly, I need you to tell her that Fred committed suicide. I don't care what story you make up, just tell her Fred is dead."

        "Fred is...Marie?"

        Tyler nodded.

        "You're...that means you're Trace, and your mom is--holy cow...I read about you guys in the paper! So, you must be--"

        "In witness protection, Peter. That's why you have to lie to Kelly. I want you to keep her, be a friend to her, help her through life. I don't want her to know we're still here, okay? If she is ever found, Fred won't ever let her out of her sight again, she'll protect her more than before and follow her, monitor her--it's not the life Kelly needs. Mom would encourage it and do the same, and with me not there to help them--"

        "I get it," Peter replied. "I understand. You want me to keep her and help her build a new life--if she ever gets out or if I ever find her..."

        Tyler nodded, "Exactly. Can you promise me?"

        "I promise," Peter replied, turning the key in the ignition and taking it out of park, pulling away from the house slowly. He drove Tyler to the train station and from there, Tyler left, without a word, to begin his search.

        On his way back home, Peter silently prayed that there would be something he could do, anything he could do, to help this family. He prayed he'd find Kelly someday and save her from the system. He felt lonely as he drove home. Lonely, and full. He was full of new stories and secrets he had to keep, lies he had to tell, and emotions he'd never felt before.