Ch 39: News

Imagine that perfect day: sun brightly shining, but the temperature is a cool 70 degrees, the breeze feels cool, yet not cold, and you are sitting on a porch chair, a cold glass of lemonade in hand. You look over your back yard and see trees, green grass, and people. Your family. This is what Kelly experienced one lazy Sunday afternoon. She had had a good night's sleep, Francine by her side in her bed, her mother just down the hall, and happiness in her heart.

        Though she'd stayed up late, talking to Francine, she slept more soundly and peacefully than she had in a long while. The two talked like sisters, not like mother and daughter, which is what they were in actuality. Both were secretly glad that even though the news was out, nothing had changed. They were still sisters and would forever be sisters.

        As she sat on the porch with a glass of lemonade, she watched her newfound family. The women she took in, playing with their children, the older kids, running around in a sprinkler, and Peter and Wesley, her two best friends, standing over the grill, cold lemonade in hand and meat sizzling on the griddle. She smiled to herself and didn't realize that she had sighed until she heard Francine say, "What's up, pup?"

        She smirked, coming out of her daze, "I was just watching."

        "Watching what?"

        She paused, looking out over the yard again, then back at her sister, "My family."

        Fred smiled, resting her hand on Kelly's. Polly sat on the other side of Kelly and sighed as well, but she wasn't watching the yard, the children or the boys cooking lunch. She was watching her daughters. Her two baby girls, sitting side by side, smiling and chatting with each other. She felt a tear slip down her cheek and cleared her throat, "I think I'm going to go make some more lemonade. I'll be right back," she said quickly, escaping inside before more tears fell.

        She made her way to the kitchen and stood, leaning against the countertop, quiet sobs escaping her lips as she stood. She wasn't alone for long, though. Tabitha soon came in to refil her glass when she saw Mrs. Domonic standign there.

        "Mrs. Domonic?" she asked gently, "What's wrong?"

        She sniffed and wiped her eyes quickly, starting to make up some excuse about dust or pollen, but when she saw Tabitha's kind brown eyes, she stopped herself. They were so deep and honest, she broke down, "I miss Trace. My son. I know he's old enough to be on his own and he knows how to take care of himself, but he parted on such horrid terms. I wish I could take back everything that was said before he left--or rather, before Francine and I kicked him out. I just have such guilt!"

        Tabitha rested her hand on Polly's arm, "Hey," she said, almost in a whisper, "It'll be okay. He'll find us eventually, don't worry. Kelly found you, and Francine. She'll find Trace someday soon, I promise."

                                                                        *****

        "Please start over, miss, you're talking so fast I can't understand you."

        "I want to put out a report of some sort, or an APB or something to find someone. His name is Trace Domonic, but he might be going by Tyler Banner."

        "We have a record of a Trace Domonic going MIA after his sister--"

        "I know, I know, just try Tyler Banner."

        The keyboard keys clicked underneath the receptionists nails as she quickly typed. The moments seemed like hours to Tabitha as she stood in the Police Station, awaiting anwers. She had snuck out of the house, saying she was running to the post office, but she, in reality, had gone to report Trace's absence in hopes the police could help her find him.

        "Ah, a Tyler Banner just registered for a bank loan in West Virginia."

        "Can I see a picture?...That's him!" Tabitha said excitedly, "Is there any way I can contact him?"

        "Uh--let's see. He seems to have no recorded phone numbers, but I have the address of his last residency."

        "That'll do."

        "12 Summer Street, Aker Villiage, West Virginia."

        "Thank you so much!" Tabitha said, writing down the address quickly, then gathering her ID's and signing out before running back to where she parked her bycycle. She rode home as quickly as her legs would carry her and burst in the front door, breathless. Wesley came running from the kitchen.

        "What's wrong?!"

        "Nothing, I need to see Kelly! Where is she?"

        "Outside, why?"

   Tabitha didn't waste time answering questions. She simply ran, "Kelly!" she yelled, "Kellyguesswhatijustfoundout!" she said quickly.

        "Slow down, kiddo," Kelly laughed, "Catch your breath, then tell me what's wrong."

        "Nothing in the world is wrong. Guess what I just found out!"

        "I haven't the foggiest--"

        "I found where Trace is!"

        "What?" Kelly asked, suddenly sobered and all her attention on Tabitha.

        "I went to the police station and after they did a quick background check on me, they answered my questions and I found where Trace is living!"

        "Where?" Kelly demanded quickly. Tabitha handed her the paper and she read the address, "West Virginia? That's hours away--"

        "Go," Francine said, "You need to be the one to go get him, Kelly. You have to."

        "You'll come with me--"

        "No. Mom and I were horrid to him. You need to go, talk to him and tell him everything is alright. If he can bear to forgive us, bring him back."

        Kelly nodded, "Okay. I'll go."