Chapter 8: Sugar cookies

Kierra always had mixed feeling when she was asked how she felt about her family and her home. The Vontons were not only well known for their intelligence and prestige but also for their rigorous training and tutoring methods of their children. They were well known for producing great minds and scholars throughout history.

Kierra's tutoring started when she was three years old and she had to learn various subjects from theology, accountancy, medicine, literature and several languages ever since she was young. She was tutored under well known scholars who were competent but also very strict. She had to wake up early morning and study till late night. Occasionally she went to tea parties and banquets but she wasn't allowed to play with other girls her age or pursue any other hobbies that were outside of her curriculum.

She lost count of how many nose bleeds she had or fainted by studying just so she could finish her assignments in time. She couldn't live like a normal girl but the only reason why she continued that routine was because she wanted recognition from her father.

The man whom she most respected and admired was her father who was a well known scholar and the former chief advisor of the late king. Everyone praised her father and she wanted to be just like him. Even though her parents didn't dote on her or adore her like other parents they were still kind and warm to her.

But that all changed when Sierra came into the picture. Sierra was healthy when she was a new born baby but she soon started falling ill. She would often get fevers and cry through the night. The doctors couldn't explain what was happening and told her mother and father that she had a weak immune system and that she could die before she reached adulthood if she wasn't cared for or put under a lot of stress. That broke both of her parent's heart and they slowly shifted all their attention and affection towards Sierra leaving Kierra with no one to care for her.

Her mother started becoming obsessive towards Sierra and placed all her expectations on Kierra. She started becoming more strict towards Kierra and monitored her every move from what she ate to what she wore. She forced her to become a "perfect" lady since she had to carry the burden of two people. Kierra had very strict etiquette teachers and she was forced to wear very tight corsets. Her mother was the one who bought her dresses and she was always made to wear plain and mature dresses while her sister wore very feminine and frilly dresses. Everyone praised Kierra's mother for raising such a perfect daughter but Kierra felt empty more and more as the days passed by.

They gave everything to Sierra so that she could be happy and not fall ill but they kept snatching things away from Kierra in return. So when Kierra went to the Alden house she finally felt free and liberated. But now since she was back in her room, the unpleasant memories started creeping back in.

*knock**knock*

"Yes ?"

"Your grace ! It's me Sara ! I have brought some warm milk", she said from outside the door.

"Come in, Sara"

Sara opened the door and as soon as she stepped inside the room , her eyes grew wide with curiosity. She glanced around the room as she placed the cup of milk on Kierra's table as if she was exploring a new world.

"I also brought some sugar cookies that you like your grace !", she said with a big smile on her face.

"Sugar cookies ? But I'm sure they wouldn't have had such sweets in the kitchen here....", she knew that deserts with white sugar were prohibited since Sierra's diet plan only allowed deserts made from either honey or molasses.

"Oh, I heard about that. I brought these from our kitchen, some of the maids were talking about how the meals here would be different from the Alden house so I brought some snacks with me in my suitcase.", she said with a awkward smile.

"Ah ! But you don't need to eat them if you think they were dirtied by hands..... I just thought you would like some sweets after dinner your grace. My apologies if I did something unnecessary......", she said with a sad smile.

If Kierra was some other noble lady then Sara would have received punishment for serving her commoner's food without permission but Kierra somehow felt touched by her actions.

Like Kierra's family, the servants in the house were also given bland food but they sometimes sneak in their own salt and spices or cook their own food in secret. But the servants from the Alden house wouldn't have known that and they would've had to eat tasteless food.

["Sara must've realize that I didn't eat properly.... what a kind child."]

"No...... it's fine, Sara. Thank you for bringing me these, I was just about to crave for some sweets.", said Kierra with a kind smile.

"I'll tell the maids to share some of their food with our servants so you won't have to worry about your meals while you stay here."

"Thank you, your grace ! Ah- but what about your food, your grace ? It must've been tasteless to you as well.....", she said with concern.

"It's alright, I'm used to the food here.", said Kierra with a reassuring smile but Sara knew that it was hard for Kierra as well.

["I hope her grace would rely on us ..... her smile looks so strained now."], thought Sara as she saw her master let out a small smile when she bit on the sugary sweet cookie like a little child that was given a special treat.

End of chapter 8.

Thank you for reading this chapter and I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far.

What would you guys do if you were made to bland food ? How would you handle it ? What are your favorite desserts ? What could be Kierra's favorite dessert ?

Comment down below your views and opinions and also don't forget to vote for this chapter ! Your support means a lot and that helps me want to write better.

Do read my other books and show some love ! See you guys next time ~