Chapter 22: A midnight tryst

"Sister ! It's me ! Can I come in ?"

It was Sierra. Sara turned towards Kierra with a concerned face.

"Shall I let her in, your grace ?"

Kierra pondered for a little bit. She wasn't in the mood to see Sierra, not even in the slightest. They were already awkward with each other ever since Sierra came to the Alden house and now after meeting Jonathan, Kierra was not confident to meet her sister with a smile on her face.

"Tell her I'm resting and that I'll meet her later."

"Alright, your grace."

Sara opened the door and relayed the information just like Kierra told her.

"My apologies, my lady. The duchess is resting right now. She said that she'll meet you at a later time."

Sierra was not happy to hear that. She pouted her lips as if she was sulking.

"I really can't talk to my sister ? I won't take much of her time."

"I'm sorry, my lady. But you have to come back later."

Sierra raised her eyebrows and thought for a while.

"Fine..... but tell her that I'll definitely back later. I have something important to discuss."

"I will surely pass on your words, my lady."

"Alright ! Then I'll be leaving.", she said with a smile.

"And congratulations !"

"My lady ?"

Sierra looked mischievous.

"You still have your job, don't you ?"

Sara flinched. Sierra left after that but Sara was feeling mixed emotions. Kierra clearly heard what Sierra said from inside the room. She has never seen her sister be so openly sarcastic before.

"I fended her off, my lady.", Sara said with a victorious smile.

She was still taken aback by what Sierra said but she couldn't show that before her master. She wanted to look capable and brave.

"She told me to tell you that she had something important to discuss and that she'll come back later."

"Alright. You did well.", said Kierra and patted her head.

"Hehehe.", Sara blushed. She liked being praised by Kierra. It felt like she was being acknowledged by someone she respected.

"Can I have some time alone ? I need to think.", Kierra said with a small smile.

"Of course, your grace. I shall excuse myself."

After Sara left, the room became quiet once again.

"What an eventful day....", Kierra mumbled to herself.

She thought about what happened today and in the end her head was exploding with questions.

["Both of them have become more brazen. Jonathan is smart enough to know that what he's doing right now will create conflict within the mansion. His actions are making Sierra more blunt and entitled."]

Kierra felt uneasy.

["I better decide what I want to do soon or else I'll get stuck in the middle of the storm that those two will create."]

Kierra started slowly closing her eyes. She was barely getting any sleep and her body felt fatigued lately. So she just let her body give into the exhaustion and fell into deep sleep on her chair.