Chapter 21: Suspicion and blackmail

Kierra had no appetite these days. She looked pale and felt weak. Even her maids were starting to point it out.

"Shall I call doctor Olivia, your grace ?" You are not looking well these days. You barely eat your food and you look pale as a ghost. I'm worried for you, your grace."

"I'm alright, Sara. I'm just feeling a bit under the weather these days.", said Kierra with a weak voice as she was resting on her chair.

But Sara couldn't help but worry. It was all because of the newly arrived guest, Sierra Vonton. She was the sly fox who seduced her master's husband. She is the reason why the mansion was being so turbulent these days.

Employees being fired or suspended for petty reasons, unreasonable demands, the duke's sudden change of attitude..... everything was a mess. Plus rumors were starting to spread that something was happening between the duke and the young lady. It was obvious with how Jonathan was giving Sierra special treatment while almost ignoring the Kierra's wishes.

The mansion was being plagued by all sorts of vulgar gossip.

Some staff said that they saw a couple sneaking out together in the middle of the night to the greenhouse.

"A dark haired man and a hooded woman were kissing near the fountain at the green house. I saw them with my own two eyes !"

"I found leftover wine and snacks at the rooftop yesterday. I wonder who went there? Only a few people in the house have access to the key."

The rumors were vague but they were certainly about Jonathan and Sierra.

Kierra wasn't so oblivious that she didn't know what the employees were saying behind her back. She felt disgraced. She was now the pitiful wife who's husband was infatuated with his sister-in-law. She was infuriated.

She already had a lot on her plate. Almost fifteen employees were let go this past week. Kierra had a tough time retraining as much employees as possible. Where can she suddenly get loyal servants at this day and age ? So she personally cancelled their termination and had to offer them compensation for their unfair dismissal. Some left their job willingly because of how they were treated by Sierra and Jonathan.

The servants in the Vonton house were all commoners who were desperate for a job. Fear was the method of discipline. Kierra's family treated them like they didn't exist and their only purpose was to serve the Vonton family.

However in the Alden household, most of the servants were low ranking nobles along with some commoners. Even though they were servants, they were still nobles. They couldn't be treated with disrespect nor dismissed without reasonable cause. Plus if someone was fired, then rumors would fly among the other nobles. Kierra was aware of that fact and hence tried to minimize the damages. 

Kierra frowned her eyebrows when she thought about her current situation. She couldn't relax and was on edge all the time.

Suddenly a maid came and called Sara to the side. She gave her a note and whispered something into Sara's ear. Sara looked surprised and asked her something but the maid just shook her head and left the room.

"Your grace ! The Duke has called for you !"

"Jonathan ?", Kierra rose up from her seat.

Honestly, Kierra didn't want to go. Jonathan was the cause for this whole mess and the thought of seeing him was already tiresome for Kierra.

"Did he specify why ?"

"No..... but the maid who passed on the message said he was looking at invitations the entire morning."