Chapter 4: Butler's statement

"You called for me, your grace ?",asked the head butler Henry as he entered the room.

"Yes, I did."

"May I know what I can do for you, your grace ?"

"I think you already know what you can do for me."

"W-what do you mean, your grace ?"

"Don't act blind Henry. As the head butler you must already know what is going on in this house without the need for me to you, don't you ?"

Henry started looking nervous and he was visibly anxious as soon he heard Kierra's words.

Henry Joan was the head butler for the Alden house for nearly twenty years and has been working for them for more than three decades. Out of all the servants, Henry was the most loyal and also the most capable in the house. It was normal to change the head butler when there is a new lady of the house but Kierra knowing Henry's abilities let him continue his work as the head butler. That's why Henry had a high regard for Kierra, because she was objective and level headed when it came to important decisions and she didn't discriminate anyone based on their social class. So Henry was the perfect candidate to get answers from since there was no way anything can get pass Henry when it came to the matters that happen inside the estate.

"The duke seems to very preoccupied these days, do you know why ?"

"W-well he is very immersed in his work these days. His majesty has asked to him to overlook the new trade policies with the east and h-"

"Henry, are you trying to lie to your master ?"

"No your grace !"

"Or is it that you don't view me as your master ?"

"Of course not ! How can I..... because of your grace the situation of the workers has really improved and everyone sees you as the lady of the house"

"Then out with it. I have already seen what you've been trying to hide"

Then Henry's eyes grew big in shock as he heard Kierra say that she has already seen them together. 

".....When-"

"A few days ago..... in his study"

At that moment, Henry realized that he shouldn't lie anymore since what he wanted to hide the most from his master was found out by the person themselves. If he tried to hide it anymore it would just make matters worse.

Henry bowed his head as low as he could and apologized profusely. 

"My apologies, your grace ! It wasn't my intention to lie to you, I just thought that you didn't know and I wanted to protect you from the truth"

"Well, it's too late for that"

"My deepest apologies, your grace. I should've reported it to you soon but-"

"Enough with the excuses ! It doesn't fell pleasant to be lied to by a trusted employee but I could understand why you decided to do that"

"My apo-"

"Enough with the apologies as well !"

"Yes, your grace"

This was Kierra's chance to get information, she confirmed that Henry knew everything so now she could question him regarding her husband's affair.

"I'm going to ask some questions and it is your choice whether to lie or tell the truth but I hope you will be honest with me", she said with a calm face but her voice sounded ice cold as if she was telling Henry not to hide anything and Henry understood that.

"Yes, your grace. I will be honest with my answers"

"Good. Now, when did this start ?"

"Well, it all started with the Duke writing letters to Lady Sierra"

"Letters ?"

"Yes, I do not know the contents but the duke would send four letters every month addressed to lady Sierra. He would always tell me to deliver it at night and he would never use the family seal"

["If he didn't use the family seal then it would be an informal letter and it would be directly delivered to Sierra without going into father's hands"], thought Kierra with a grimace.

"He told me not to inform you since you would misunderstand his intentions but it was clear as day as to what was happening", told Henry who was visibly anxious.

".......", Kierra was deep in thought.

"Your grace ?"

"When did he start writing those letters ?", asked Kierra with a stern face.

"......... It was about two years ago, your grace", he said with an apologetic face and that made Kierra feel even pitiful because her situation has become so pathetic that even her butler felt sorry for her.

["If it was two years ago then that means he started writing her letters ever since he met me..... that means he didn't even think about loving me from the start"], sighed Kierra.

"Your grace ?", asked a concerned Henry.

"No... it's nothing. When did she start coming to the estate in secret ?"

"It's been four months since the lady started coming to the estate directly. At first she would come whenever she came to the capital and when you were not in the house but recently master had given her the key to the greenhouse behind the estate and they meet there in the afternoon when you take a nap or late night when you go to sleep. Master had arranged for a special coachman so she could travel whenever she wanted to.", he said nervously.

Kierra could feel her anger flaring up but she didn't want to show such an ugly sight to Henry so she controlled herself. The greenhouse behind the estate was the favorite place of Jonathan's mother before she passed away by an incurable illness. He wouldn't even let Kierra go inside because it was like his secret hideout that reminded of his mother but it seems like he loves Sierra enough to even give her the key.

Henry noticed the changing expression on Kierra's face and immediately excused himself.

"I'm sorry your grace but I have to leave now, master could be searching for me"

"Alright, you may leave", Kierra said with a cold expression. Kierra slumped in her seat and started laughing manically after Henry left.

["This is what I get for loving a man dearly ? What did I do to deserve this ? If I knew it would turn out to be like this, I would have never loved him......"]

But strangely enough Kierra only felt hurt that he didn't love her back  and not hatred. Maybe she already knew herself that he didn't love her but she had hope that someday he might come to develop feeling for her. But even after all of this had happened Kierra was sure of one thing, she didn't hate Jonathan. In fact, she still carried affection for him and that made her feel even more pathetic.

["Tonight too, I have a lot of things to think about"]

End of chapter 4.

Than you for reading this chapter and hope you guys enjoyed this update. Please show your support for this story by reading and voting for each chapter !

Why do you think Kierra still harbors affection for Jonathan ? What do you think she will do next ? If you were Kierra, what would you have done ? Do comment your thoughts and opinions since they motivate me to write better.

Also don't forget to show some love to my other books as well.

See you guys next time with a new chapter!