Chapter 16: A friendly visit

It was a week ago when Kierra saw her husband and her younger sister making love. But she was still in a daze and hadn't recovered.  

 She made Sara tell everyone that she wasn't feeling well and would like to rest. She rarely left her room and told Sara not to let anyone visit her either.

She was mostly contemplating what to do next. She knew that her feelings for Jonathan had now turned bitter. So she was concerned what to do with their marriage. She felt pathetic to stay married to him but it wasn't like she could divorce him either. 

If she decides to divorce him, she would face a lot of repercussions. First, she would have to stand in trial before a public audience which was considered shameful for a woman. Next, the Alden house runs on support from the Vonton family. If the Vonton house withdraws their support, then the real victims would be the employees and the common people of the Alden dukedom. 

Most of all, divorced women didn't have a favorable image among the nobles. The women were usually blamed for their ruined marriages and were shunned by others as "Used women". They don't get pity like widows, instead are ridiculed for their inability to be a good wife. 

So considering all these factors, it was clear that Kierra would be at a disadvantage if she decides to divorce Jonathan. But if she doesn't, then she would have to keep watching them have an affair behind her back and tolerate Jonathan's increasing lies. It wasn't like he could marry Sierra. So he would either have to keep seeing her in secret or make her his mistress. Either way, Kierra would have to forget her pride and live whilst turning a blind eye towards them for the rest of her life. 

["I wonder what I should do ?"]

"Your grace ?", Sara interrupted. 

"Lady Carlton has arrived. I have made her sit in the parlor. Shall I take you to her, your grace ?"

"Yes."

Kierra pushed her thoughts to the back of her mind and got up. Today was a special day and she wanted to have a clear mind before she met her guest. 

Kierra went to the parlor room and saw a pink haired woman with clear gray eyes sitting patiently in her seat. 

"Melissa !"

"Kierra !"

Both of them hugged each other in a tight embrace as soon as they met. It had been a long time since Kierra had a warm embrace and Melissa's tender hug felt comforting. 

"It's been such a long time !", Melissa chirped. 

"Yes, it has. How have you been ?"

"I am alright. How about you ?"

"I'm doing well as always."

Both of them had affection in their eyes and familiarity in their expressions.

Melissa Carlton, the only daughter of Count Nuenberg was Kierra's only childhood friend. She was the only one who could intrude Kierra's emotional fence. Melissa's kind and gentle personality radiated through her and melted Kierra's icy demeanor. 

She was the only one whom Kierra trusted other than Ethan and occupied a big space in Kierra's heart. At the age of 19, she married her lover Baron Robin Carlton against her family's wishes and moved to the south. After that they lost touch and only communicated through a few letters.

This was the first time they saw each other in three years after Melissa's wedding. She had returned back home for the harvest festival without her husband. It was probably hard for him to come since he was being treated as an outsider by her family because of his low status.