Chapter 24: Unexpected storm

"Milady! Wake up, milady!"

"Hmm....mmm...."

Sierra's body felt heavy and her muscles were sore. 

"Just a little more, Natty."

She dismissed her maid's pleas to wake up and rolled around the bed trying to get some more sleep. 

Natty was Sierra's new personal maid. Sierra liked her because she was the only one who didn't disdain her relationship with Jonathan. 

"You can't do that, milady. It's almost time for the maids to start cleaning. You can't be here."

Sierra felt displeased for some reason. 

She got up from the bed with her naked torso peeking through the sheets. 

"I'll help you get ready, milady. Please stand up."

"Humph....", she pouted. 

She flung the sheets aside and let Natty clean her sweaty body traced with yesterday's fluids.  

"Nobody is going to say anything if I sleep some more. Why do I have to behave like a fleeing criminal?", she spoke unhappily. 

"That might be true, milady but the Duchess won't be happy if she learns of this."

Natty finished dressing her up and started brushing her disheveled hair. 

"Not happy about what? That I and Jona are in love?"

Natty realized that she needed to answer carefully. 

"It's not that, milady. They are still married. It could lead to a lot of trouble if others hear about this. Not everyone would accept this relationship."

Sierra's irritation increased. 

"Shouldn't she be happy that Jona is finally in love?! He was so unhappy with their loveless marriage, shouldn't she rejoice and let him go? Why does she have to bring unhappiness to everyone with her selfishness?" 

Natty was secretly astonished by Sierra's stupidity. What woman would be happy to know that her husband and her sister were sharing a bed every night? If it wasn't for the high pay then she wouldn't have become the maid of such a repulsive woman. 

Natty's family was poor and they couldn't afford their sick mother's medical treatment. Someone told her that the Duke of Alden was searching for a tight-lipped young maid and is willing to offer a high sum to be a lady's maid. She took the job in a heartbeat. She would do anything to save her mother even if it meant working for such a harlot of a woman.

"She has everything she needs. Why does she want to steal from me?"

 Natty kept brushing her hair and didn't say anything. She just found the whole situation ridiculous. 

"She must think little of me. I'll show her who I am at tomorrow's tea party. Are the preparations done for tomorrow ?"

"Yes, milady. Everything is ready like you ordered...."

********

"I have brought your dinner, your grace." 

Sierra cautiously set the table for Kierra. Light foods were prepared to soothe Kierra's appetite since she told Sara that she was feeling nauseous since morning. 

"I have brought light venison soup, fresh harvest salad, poached salmon, and freshly made pastries, your grace."

"Thank you, Sara."

But as soon as Kierra smelled the poached salmon, her nausea got worse, and ran towards the sink. 

"Your grace !", Sara followed her hurriedly. Kierra couldn't hold out and threw up everything till her stomach was empty.