Chapter 23: The scent of vanilla

It'd been a week since the whole exchange with Jonathan happened. After that day, the mansion was relatively quiet.

To avoid any conflicts, Jonathan let Sierra choose her maids and he even hired a nutritionist to prepare her meals separately. Of course, rumors were spread about the special attention Sierra was receiving from Jonathan but Kierra paid no mind to it. She was becoming used to the whole situation and these little things didn't faze her anymore. It was more like she didn't have any other choice but to get used to it or else she felt like she'll lose her sanity. 

Well, that was what she had planned to do. 

Even though she wanted to ignore it, her heart couldn't and it was affecting her physically. She had no appetite most of the time and was starting to lose weight. She became listless and inactive. 

Sara grew more and more concerned. She felt helpless and frustrated that she could do nothing to help her master. All the new maids were taking Sierra's side since she was their employer and Jonathan was ignoring all the rumors and simply acted as he pleased. 

Then one day, Kierra received an unexpected letter. The letter came in a high-quality ornamental envelope that had the faint smell of vanilla. It had the blue imperial seal which meant that it came from the capital palace. When she read the name of the sender, she couldn't help but feel a little excited. 

The sender was Ethan Liondale. 

She hurriedly opened the envelope like a little child opening a present which even surprised Sara since it had been a long time since she saw her master look that cheerful. 

She sat in her soft cushioned chair and gently unfolded the letter. 

[ Dear Duchess Kierra Alden, 

I hope you are in good health. It is certainly strange to write to you like this but since I'm preoccupied at the palace for the upcoming peace treaty, I wanted to at least feel your presence through this letter. 

The weather is quite chilly and I'm worried that you might catch a cold.  I remember you being sensitive to the winter weather and your habit of being oblivious to your health concerns me. My men will deliver some rare tonics that I found in the south to your mansion soon. They are said to be effective against colds and sore throats. Use them well. 

I passed through Heinder's  patisserie recently and I was immediately reminded of you. I hope you still have your sweet tooth since it would be regretful if you didn't try their sweets. 

I know it is wrong of me to expect that you'll forgive me anytime soon. But I hope that a couple of Heinder's special vanilla tarts will make you reconsider. I will see you soon. 

Yours, 

Ethan Liondale. ]

Kierra patiently read every word in the letter. She didn't know why she was this excited to read his letter. Maybe because she wanted to hear what he had to say after such a long time? Because she was curious about how their special yet vague relationship will change after his return? Because of all of the above reasons? 

But she was happy. His letter radiated sincerity and delicacy and even a bit of cautiousness. It was like she was reassured that Ethan as a person hadn't changed. He was still considerate and kind to a fault. 

"Sara bring me my writing set! I should write a reply."

"Yes, your grace."

["But I hope that a couple of Heinder's special vanilla tarts will make you reconsider."]

That meant he'll be visiting her soon and that made her chest tingle. 

She pondered for a while about how to write her reply. She wanted to seem witty yet not frivolous, friendly yet not flirtatious, familiar yet somehow mysterious.