Chapter 9: Diamonds

"Which dress do you like the best, your grace ? The pink one or the blue one ?", asked Sara as she held up them up in each hand.

Kierra and her maids were busy picking out dresses to wear to the grand harvest ball. It would be the first social event Kierra attended after she got married and went to the capital so she was anxious about her appearance for the ball.

"Hmm....", Kierra was in deep thought. To be honest, she didn't like either of the dresses. The pink dress was an extravagant ball gown with frills and ruffles and the blue one was a flashy mermaid dress with various white crystals encrusted throughout the entire dress.

"Which one do you like Nancy ?", asked Sara to one of the maids of the Vonton house.

Nancy looked nervous to reply since the servants in the Vonton house were strictly managed by the head maid and the maids were not used to being asked about their thoughts much less help their masters to make a decision. It seemed like Sara befriended Nancy in three days since she was the one who was helping Sara to get good food.

"I-I...."

"It alright, you can tell me", said Kierra as she controlled her face to not look stern.

"I t-think the blue one would suit you, your grace !", she said anxiously.

"Really ? I think you would look divine in the pink dress, your grace ! Like a princess who descended from the clouds !", she exclaimed with excitement.

["Here she goes again with her wild imaginations..."]

"I like neither."

"Your grace !", Sara dropped her jaw in surprise.

In honesty the two dresses were truly beautiful and they were the most trending styles in the capital but they were just not Kierra's cup of tea.

Kierra went to her closet and searched for a dress that was elegant but didn't stand out since she was attending it with Jonathan and she wanted to look modest. She thought a married woman shouldn't look frivolous.

"This is perfect. I will wear this.", said Kierra as she pulled out a dress from the depths of her closet. It was an emerald green A-line dress with lace sleeves and an emerald encrusted sash at the waist. It was modest but not too simple just like Kierra wanted.

"Yes, your grace...", said Sara with a defeated look as she knew that she shouldn't push Kierra any further and even if she did she knew full well that her master wouldn't change her mind.

Nancy and Sara helped Kierra get dressed up for the evening to the best of their abilities. Kierra was nervous as she sat in the chair while Sara and Nancy did her hair and makeup.

"What do you think, your grace ?", asked Sara as she guided Kierra to the mirror to let her look at her finished appearance.

"It's perfect.", said Kierra as she looked at herself in the mirror. The dress fitted her beautifully and her hair was made into a high up-do with braids on the sides. The makeup was done tastefully so that she would look more mature and not too dolled up.

Kierra let out a small smile in satisfaction from looking at her own reflection.

["Beautiful...."]

Just then she heard a knock on her door.

"Kierra, it's me !", called out Jonathan. Kierra's mood immediately dampened and her face became straight again.

"Come in."

Jonathan entered the room looking charming as he usually was. He was wearing a white suit with the Alden crest embroidered on the jacket and blue accents were given throughout the entire attire. His smooth black hair was pushed back revealing his handsome face and he was wearing a gold brooch on his lapel. He truly looked like a prince and Kierra's heart couldn't help but flutter at the sight of him.

"Are you ready ?", he asked with an awkward smile.

"Yes, almost", she said as gripped her arms nervously.

"Y-you look beautiful.... as always", he said but Kierra couldn't feel any emotion from his compliment.

The mood between Kierra and Jonathan has certainly been tense these past few days. They acted like a normal couple in front of Kierra's parents but they both knew that their relationship had changed.

"This is for you.", he said and suddenly held out a red velvet box.

"What's this ?"

"Something to mark the occasion. This is our first appearance together in your home region after our wedding so I wanted to give you something special."

Kierra opened the box and she saw a diamond necklace that shined brilliantly like the morning sun.

["This looks extravagant......how burdensome."]

"Do you like it ?", he asked.

Kierra was a bit disappointed. She thought Jonathan knew her well but the gift he just gave her was not to her taste at all.

"...... yes, it's beautiful."

"Will you wear it for me ?", he asked with expectant eyes.

Kierra hesitated but ultimately she gave in.

"Alright. Sara can you help me ?"

"Yes, your gr-"

"No, I'll put it on for you.", interrupted Jonathan.

"No, you don't hav-", but before she could finish her sentence, Jonathan picked up the necklace and approached Kierra.

He put her arms around her neck and placed the necklace on her lean pale neck. He was standing so close that it would seem they were in a embrace. The diamond necklace weighed heavily on her neck. Kierra felt like she was a heavy chain around her neck and she felt uncomfortable.

["How burdensome indeed."]

"How does it look ?", she asked.

Jonathan smiled brightly and gently caressed her face. Kierra's face started to feel warm and she felt shy.

"It looks good, you look beautiful.", he said and gently kissed her cheek.

"You look like a beautiful lily.", he whispered in her ears as he pulled back.

Kierra's heart fluttered again. She didn't know how she felt anymore. When she thought about what Jonathan had done to her she felt hurt and betrayed but as soon as she saw him or when he spoke sweetly to her like this, she felt like a maiden in love all over again.

"Shall we get going then ?', he asked and held out his arm.

"Yes, let us depart...", she said and linked her arm with his.

["I can think about this later. For now, we are still together and I need to fulfill my duty."]

End of chapter 9.

Thank you for reading this chapter and I hope you guys are enjoying the story so far.

What did you think about Jonathan's gift ? Would you be happy to receive his gift ? Which dress would you have picked ? Does Jonathan seem handsome to you guys as well ?

Comment down below your views and opinions and also don't forget to vote for this chapter ! Your support means a lot and that helps me want to write better.

Do read my other books and show some love ! See you guys next time ~