Chapter 12: A heavy heart

"How is your family ? Are they still the same ?", asked Ethan. 

Kierra understood what Ethan meant by that question. Since Ethan grew up at the Vonton estate for six years, he knew how everything worked in the Vonton estate. It was centered around Sierra and her needs.

 Whenever Kierra was heartbroken, she went to Ethan for comfort. So he knew very well what conspired in that mansion in the six years he lived there. 

"My family ?...."

Kierra sighed and Ethan knew at once what she was going to say. 

"They are still the same. Sierra is ...."

She sighed again at the thought of her sister. Her sickly sister who stole her parent's attention was now stealing her husband. But how could she say that to Ethan ? Her pride wouldn't allw that.

"Sierra is.....just getting better. Nothing has changed all that much."

Contrary to her indifferent words, Kierra had a pained face and that was enough for Ethan to realize that something happened. He didn't pry further since he knew how stubborn Kierra was. She would never show her true feelings if she didn't want to. 

"How is Duke Alden ? Is he treating you well ?"

Kierra's chest tightened. She expected this question and was readying herself. Seeing Ethan standing before her, her heart refused to lie. However Ethan was the last person she wanted to know about her now ugly marriage so she forced herself to deceive him. 

She plastered a fake smile on her face and acted as if she was happy. 

"He treats me very well. I enjoy his company and he cares for me.", she said with a smile. 

Ethan smiled in response. Kierra felt relieved that Ethan believed her.

"Does he love you ?"

Kierra felt pain in her chest again. She now knew that he never loved her. Saying that he did love her made her feel as if she was fooling herself. 

"O-Of course.....", she said with a strained smile. 

"What about you ?"

"Hmm ?"

"Do you love him ?"

For some reason, this question was harder to answer than the previous question. Kierra herself did not know the answer to that. 

Kierra just stood there and had a blank expression on her face. She was contemplating whether her heart still had room to love Jonathan. Till now, she knew she felt hurt and betrayed by Jonathan but she never really knew if she still loved him or not. 

"Kierra ?"

Ethan's question brought her back to reality. 

"Are you alright ? You don't look so well. Do you feel tipsy ?", he asked her out of concern. 

"N-No.... I'm alright. I think the alcohol is just finally getting to me."

"Do you want to retire ? Shall I call for a servant ?"

"It's alright. I'll just go back. It is getting later, after all."

Ethan nodded and walked her back to the ballroom. 

"Then, I'll be leaving first.", said Kierra. 

She knew coming out of the terrace with another man will cause rumors so she was being careful. Ethan smiled as if he understood her intentions.

"Alright."

"Have a good night then.", he said with a bitter sweet expression.

"Will you be able to write letters now ?", asked Kierra slowly. 

Ethan realized what she meant and smiled brightly. His heart felt relieved that he wasn't hated by her. 

"Of course ! This time, I'll write to you first. I'll send a letter to the Alden estate soon."

Kierra coughed in embarrassment. She felt like a pouting child who wanted attention. But if she felt happy because of Ethan's answer then maybe she was a child. 

"Then I'll be looking forward to it.", she said as she blushed and walked away. 

Ethan chuckled seeing her being embarrassed and acting cute like a child. He stood there and watched as Kierra made her way to the ballroom. He had an inexplainable expression on his face and his heart felt heavy for some reason.

*****************

When Kierra retuned to the ballroom, she glanced around the room in search of Jonathan but he could not be seen anywhere. Then suddenly, a servant of the Vonton house rushed towards her. 

"Lady Kierra ! Duke Alden has relayed a message.", he said in a hurry.

"What is it ?", she asked. 

"The duke wanted me to tell you that he will be retiring and will head back to the estate first.", he said. 

Kierra's heart dropped. For a moment she couldn't process what she had just heard. 

"When did he leave ?", she asked trying to contain herself. It is common etiquette to leave together with your partner and send them home. Especially for a married couple it was considered as basic manners but Jonathan just left Kierra there and returned home without informing her. If someone else at the ball finds out that she's been left here by her husband, uncontrollable rumors were going to spread among the nobles.

"A-About an hour ago. He said he was feeling tired and wanted to rest first. I tried searching for you but you couldn't be found."

The servant was nervous. He could feel the change in mood and was afraid of angering her. 

Kierra was frustrated by his behavior but she hid her emotions since she was surrounded by people. He disappointed her. Even though she now knew that Jonathan never loved her, he always took care of her and treated her properly. This was the first time he acted this carelessly.

But then she realized that her father and mother were attending another banquet somewhere else. No one was home except Sierra. She felt uneasy and her instincts told her that something was wrong and that he didn't return home just to rest. 

She turned to the servant and gave a fierce look. 

"Is the carriage ready outside ?", she asked. 

"Yes, milady."

"Then I shall return home as well.", she said sternly. 

End of chapter 12.

Thank you for reading this chapter and hope you guys have been enjoying the story so far.

What does Kierra feel about Jonathan ? Do you think she still loves him ? Why do you think Jonathan left early ? What do you think Kierra is going to do after she reaches her house ? 

Comment your deductions and opinions in the comments section and don't forget to vote for this chapter.

Your support means a lot to me since it gives me the drive to improve my writing and continue these stories.

Do read my other books and show some love ! See you guys next time with another update !