Chapter 3: Suspicion

"The tea is delicious as usual, so fragrant and sweet !", said Sierra with a big smile on her face.

["Of course, you would think so. These tea leaves are specially prepared whenever you visit"], thought Kiara as she drank the overly sweet tea with a smile plastered on her face.

"This cake is wonderful as well! It is so soft and the butter cream is divine", she said taking a bit of the fluffy white cake.

"I'm happy that you like it", said Kierra as she saw her younger sister eat big bites of the sickly sweet dessert.

If this was a normal day then Kierra would be chatting happily and cherishing every moment with her sister but today she swallowed her words and felt as if she was sitting on a cushion of pins. It was uncomfortable to act like she didn't know anything and smile like she normally would.

"Are you alright ? You seem to be in a daze", asked Sierra cluelessly.

"No, I'm alright...... just couldn't get enough sleep"

"Oh dear ! You should learn to relax once in a while, sister. Remember the time you had a nose bleed because you were overworked ? You should take care of your health more", nagged Sierra.

"Yes... alright", she said slowly as a tinge of irritation swelled in her heart.

"Are you eating well ? Your face looks pale ! Are you skipping your meals again ?"

"I'm fine"

"You don't look fine at all. You should rely more on other people, sister. If you don't -"

"I said I'm fine !", snapped Kierra. She was already in a fowl mood and when Sierra started nagging like she cared about her, Kierra couldn't control her emotions. Sierra was stunned and the entire room fell silent. Kierra came back to her senses and immediately calmed down.

"I-I'm sorry..... I'm just tired", Kierra said nervously. It was unusual for Kierra to lose her cool and Sierra knew that. 

"It's fine, sister. Should I leave and come back at a better time ?", she asked gently.

"No, it's alright. You don't have to leave"

The maids immediately stepped in to refill their teacups and brought new deserts to relieve the mood.

"Are you coming back home for the harvest festival, sister ? Father and mother are excited for your visit.", asked Sierra who was trying to change the mood as well.

"Yes", slowly said Kierra.

The harvest festival is a week long celebration that takes place in the middle of the 9th month. Families gather together and have meals together to celebrate the new harvests. It's a tradition for noble families to go back to their paternal homes and have a feast with their families.

For married couples, they must go to the bride's home to celebrate since they leave their family when they get married. So this festival serves as an excuse to visit their family after their marriage. 

"Jonathan and I will depart next week. I have already written a letter to father about this so he should already know about this. I wanted to come earlier but Jonathan has some work.", said Kierra.

Then Sierra flinched when Jonathan was mentioned and Kierra sharply caught that.

"I-I see...", said a nervous Sierra who was visibly anxious.

Kierra was somehow annoyed by how her sister was acting. If today was a normal day then Kierra wouldn't caught onto to that but now she couldn't help but take notice of every shift in Sierra's attitude.

"It's been a long time since you've seen Jonathan, hasn't it ?"

"W-What do you mean ?"

"Because the last time you saw him was when we attended Count Heffrey's engagement party three months ago", said Kiara calmly.

"Oh, I see.......", she said shifting her eyes.

"Shall I call for him ? He should greet his sister-in-law once in a while too"

"No, it's fine. You don't have to do that"

"It's alright, he shouldn't be busy right now. Sara call-"

"No ! No !", shouted Sierra anxiously.

Kierra was surprised by Sierra's unexpected behavior. Sierra wasn't the type of person who would be anxious like that so even the maids noticed that she was acting weird.

"No, I-I meant brother-in-law might be busy so you don't have to disturb him just so I could meet him", she said with a disturbed smile.

Kierra was irked by Sierra's response. She knew that she shouldn't push this matter further, for now at least.

"Alright", said Kiara with a smile as if she wasn't bothered by how Sierra was acting.

"After all, you came here to meet me, right ?" 

"Yes, meeting with sister alone is enough to make me happy", she said with relief showing on her face.

The awkwardness in the air was painful and all the maids who were in the room were confused by the unexpected tension in the air. Normally, the mood would be cheerful and lovely but today was certainly different.

"I should return back home, sister. It is getting late", said Sierra as she beckoned her personal maid.

"Alright, you must be tired as well so you should go home early and rest well ", said Kierra sounding concerned.

"Thank you, sister. I shall do that", she said with a big smile and started leaving.

Kierra felt rather tired today. Yesterday's night was rough and today she had to face Sierra. 

Kierra looked on solemnly as Sierra's carriage left the estate. She felt a mixture of emotions as she recalled her sister's face when she mentioned Jonathan. It was like a thorn that was stuck to the bottom of her foot, it felt prickling. 

"Sara", she called out.

"Yes, your grace ?"

"Call Henry for me, I need to ask him something.", said Kierra.

Kierra wanted to know the answers for a lot of questions and the best person to ask questions regarding the Alden house would be the head butler, Henry.

End of chapter 3.

Thank you for reading this chapter and please show your support by voting for this chapter and commenting your opinions and rants !

What do you think Kiara will ask the head butler about ? What do you guys will do if you were in Kiara's shoes ? Comment me your guesses and thoughts , I love reading them and they encourage me to improve my story and writing.

Do look forward to the next chapter and show some love to my other books as well.

See you guys next time !