| Chapter Seven |

The interview process was annoying and made me feel like I was such a dainty and fragile little girl, but I guess I passed and got one of the vacant apartments! Angie was excited when she heard and helped me bring my stuff upstairs to the room.

"This one right here is my apartment, and right across the way is yours! If you ever need anything I am just one knock away," she said. I thanked her and brought my stuff in. Angie wanted to stay and help me unpack, but figured it'd be better for her to go back to work her shift. I bid her goodbye and closed the door once she turned the corner in the hallway.

Turning back to my room, I gave it a good look over from right to left. It was a very basic layout and I figured that it would be perfect. I wasn't going to be spending tremendous amounts of time in this place anyways, since I'll mostly be working in the office and going on assignments, but it was great for the nights I got home and mornings I left.

I got my luggage unpacked and put the case in my closet on the floor. My bag stayed full and untouched while I took care of what I needed to. After all my clothes were put into the dresser and hung up, I noticed I didn't have much with me. "Well, it's a good excuse to go shopping," I whispered to myself. I placed my hands on my hips and let out another sigh.

"I might need to change," I said to myself as I looked down at my outfit. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, I just noticed that it wasn't exactly something that would make me look entirely too professional for my first meeting with the New York division's SSR chief. I went over to my dresser and pulled out a pair of high waisted navy pants, an off white top, and a navy blue blazer to go with it.

The sounds of honking could be heard below, and I knew that I should be heading out soon for my meeting with Chief Dooley. Hopefully by some miracle, I could also talk with Agent Sousa today before being put on my assignments. I made sure to secure my watch on my wrist and that I had my bag in my hand, then stepped out of my new home for however long.

I walked out into the hall and ran into a couple other residents who introduced themselves to me: Mary who came from a very Christian family it seemed. She had long blond hair that was curled up and was a bit shorter than me. Then Miriam who lived in California for her entire life up until three years ago. She was about my height with very striking green eyes.

When I went back out onto the sidewalk for the second time today, I noticed it was much more crowded than this morning at close to 5 am. I also noticed it was mostly men who were walking around to work and not many women. Typical, yes, but it made me feel weird being amongst a sea of very boringly dressed men.

So I started my journey. The building the SSR offices were held in was a telephone company as a cover. I had no idea how they managed to make it a secret office, but they somehow did, and I couldn't wait to see. This begged the question though, of how I was to get into the SSR offices. Surely the people working the telephone part were smarter than some random person off the street, and would know better than to just let someone in if they mention the SSR acronym. However that would all have to be figured out once I actually get to the offices.

The walk was nice and very well paced. Men around me walked a very good pace that I was able to comfortably fall into and still be on time for my interview. As I passed, some gave me weird glances. It must be such a strange concept to them for women to be working actual jobs outside of the home. It felt good to be able to smirk at them as I walked just a bit faster.

I was outside of the 'telephone company' building in no time, and started to make my way in when I heard a familiar voice. "Jones?" I turned towards where the voice came from and saw Agent Sousa on his way as well.

"Sousa. Great to see you this morning," I greeted back. I noticed the lack of our official titles; you can never be too careful in a crowded area. "I'm truly very glad I caught you this morning. I might have a better time finding my way with someone who knows it." I gave him a smile that showed off my teeth and he smiled back.