| Chapter Fourteen |

The moment we got back, I was rushed to a medical room in the SSR. Doctors properly fixed me up while having to deal with the Chief getting pissed off at me. I didn't feel like I deserved to be yelled at, but I wasn't going to bring that up. He was extremely mad at me, saying I was "careless" and he "should't have agreed to this in the first place." Frank wasn't very happy either when Chief Dooley told him what happened. But I didn't entirely care; all I cared about was that we got somewhere.

No, we didn't get somewhere on the mission, but I got somewhere with Jack. Neither of us decided to talk about what happened over there yet, but I hoped that we would soon. Peggy's words stuck around in my mind for the two days I spent recovering in the SSR before I was told to recover at home.

My recovery at home was for two days before I went insane and decided to go back to work in the SSR building. It was against Chief's orders, yes, but I couldn't stand being in my apartment all the time. Peggy was the only thing keeping me grounded there and she wasn't even there most of the time. For breakfasts and dinners, Peggy would help me down and help me grab food since I struggled to walk on my own. Others would ask what was wrong, and I just brushed it off as a twisted ankle.

Today, even with my inability to walk very far very fast, I was going to work. Peggy told me about a lead she was chasing today. It had to do with the Russian girl that attacked us, and how maybe some of the older ones were brought to the US. I had no idea how this connected to the Stark case we were working on, but she was adamant on it. All that to say I'm on my own this morning.

I made sure to leave very early so I could get to the office at a good time. When I did, I caught Sousa looking stressed at his desk. "What's the matter?" I asked him as I moved to sit at my own.

He looked up, surprised to see me. "What are you doing back from recovery so early? I was told you had to spend at least a week at home," he questioned me back.

"I was immensely bored sitting in my apartment doing nothing, so I decided to come back a little early. Now, back to my question."

Daniel sighed and sat up a bit, bringing his elbows to the desk and putting his face in his hands. "I have something on the Stark case that I really don't like, and hopefully it's nothing. I'm thinking about going out to check with a witness to see if he can confirm my suspicion."

As he spoke, I nodded a long and tried to forget the fact that he was being very vague with me. "Well, if I were you, I'd go check on that guy a bit faster. If it means a lot to the case then it's best to figure it out now and get going," I said, hoping it was good advice.

He nodded, and it looked like he already knew that's what he had to do, he just really didn't want to. Whatever it was, seemed to be really hard for him for some reason. I didn't get a chance to push because he got up and left.

I sat and stared at the pile of files on my desk, and sighed. Of course, I was the one who wanted to come here and get out of my apartment, but at the same time I didn't want to sit and do files for hours and hours. My mission to Russia really got me high on getting out and doing real missions again. Yes, I got shot and also reopened my other GSW, but it was so great to be out and doing real field work.

At this point it would be a true miracle if I ever went out on the field again.

My thoughts rampaged around my mind as I started getting to work on closing some random files. I picked different files out of the stack, trying to give myself some fun and mystery to my day of sitting at a desk. It felt like hours of doing boring file work before Daniel came hurrying back into the office.

I looked up him with a small smile, ready to ask him how it went, but his face told me it wasn't very good. Or, maybe it was. So his expression didn't tell me a thing, but I was going to find out. "Hey," I called out, stopping him from continuing into the Chief's office. "What happened?"