Chapter 3

After Spongebob and Squidward both explained in their words and in their own attitudes about what had just happened, Mr. Krabs, who barley took all of it in at once, just shook his head and sighed.

"Aye I see. Well I guess I'll just have to let you boys off from work then until you can get back from your um...situation. When does the competition start?" Mr. Krabs asked.

"In a couple of days and we have to ride all the way to Bottoms Up to enter it too. Which means that we might have to um....stay in that part of town until it gets done." Squidward informed nervously while rubbing his neck and glancing over at Spongebob, who for some reason never took notice of his stare.

Mr. Krabs, amused by this sudden event, rubbed his chin with his claw in thought for a while before finally giving them the verdict.

"Mhmm. Okay then, I guess I can't pass up an opportunity like this so, I wish you the best of luck boys. Oh, and remember to give a large shoutout of our restaurant to the fish up there. More rich fish means more money to the Krusty Krab. Ar-ar-ar-ar." Mr. Krabs encouraged as he let out his usual pirate laugh.

Of course. Always think about money with that head of yours, Eugene. Squidward thought bitterly as the two slowly leave the office and head on home early to pack.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soon, the hours of in Bikini Bottom turned to dusk within the surface of the waters as Spongebob and Squidward pop out of their houses, each carrying 2 bags of luggage.

One was for their clothes and toiletries and the other was filled with the necessary essentials needed for the competition.

Spongebob, at the time, had just finished making arrangements for Gary to be watched over by Sandy since Patrick failed miserably last time and almost starved the poor creature to death.

While Squidward started making his way to the nearest bus stop, Spongebob decided to take a few more minutes with his pet before leaving town.

"Now you be a good boy for Sandy alright?" Spongebob asked his little lovable pink snail, who looked at him with unreadable eyes.

"Meow" Gary replied happily.

"Good boy. I'll see you later Gare-Bear" Spongebob said with a half smile as he kissed his pet goodbye and starts to meet up with Squidward up ahead until a sudden booming, obnoxious voice stopped him from moving forward.

"Spongebob!" The familiar loud voice shouted over as Spongebob turns to see that it's just Patrick, who was making his way over in his direction.

"Hey, Pat what's up?" Spongebob asked in a weary, tired tone.

He had a lot on his plate at the moment and the last thing he needed is another noise to rouse up his mind.

"Spongebob, why didn't you tell me that you were leaving. I'm your best friend." Patrick said

"*sigh I already told you Pat remember? I came over to your house and told you before I went inside to pack." Spongebob explained while pinching his nose, irritated. 

"Awww. But why are you leaving?" Patrick asked with big, innocent puppy eyes. 

"I'm doing a favor for Squidward. Now I really have to go or I'll be late for the bus, but we can talk some other time, okay buddy?" Spongebob asked in a patient tone. 

He couldn't be too mad at Patrick for being himself.  

He just wished that he had that same brotherly connection with Squidward, but it's not that simple. 

"Okay, fine. But promise me that you'll text me all the pretty pictures" Patrick asked eagerly. 

"I, pinkie promise." Spongebob said with a bigger grin. 

At least Patrick knows how to cheer him up whenever he feels down.

Spongebob thought as he intertwines his pinkie finger with Patrick's to 'seal the deal'.  

"Yay!" Patrick shouted while throwing his arms up in the air in excitement. 

"See ya later buddy!" Patrick yells out as he waved Spongebob goodbye and immediately goes back to his rock-like home to do.... whatever it is he feels like doing. 

Spongebob laughed a little from his silliness and then turns around to see Squidward, who was at the bus stop waiting impatiently while looking at his watch in grimace. 

His laugh then seem to fade a little as he walks up to him slowly and stands right beside him in silence.

Squidward, who didn't pay attention to his presence, was tapping his foot in a snappy mood as the two stared at the empty seafloor for what felt like hours until finally, a red bus came around and stopped at their location. 

The bus doors flap open as the two climb inside and paid the lady their daily ride pass in a coin dispenser. 

"Where to boys?" The lady fish asked calmly. 

"Bottoms Up" Squidward answered. 

"Ooo well you're in for a real treat because you two happen to be my last stop for the evening. Y'all go on ahead and take your seats, its going to a long while before we get there." The lady fish offered. 

"Wonderful." Squidward said in a mixture of stress and monotone voice as the two sat in front row seats and tucked their luggage underneath the floorboard.

Normally, Spongebob would be taking the window seat, but instead allowed Squidward to take it, which along with several other instances that just happened over the course of several days, still surprised Squidward even more. 

But today truly, had been a real rough day for him. 

On top of having very difficult miscommunication with Spongebob, he was also making bets with the most hateful octopus in town. 

It was eating him up inside and he didn't know how to deal with it or ask for help as he continued to let the anxiety build up in his chest. 

Fish paste. Why did I even sign up for this in first place? All that snob is going to do is fail me. Oh Sweet Neptune. What did I do to deserve this?  Squidward thought in his mind as he stared through the window with worry until all of a sudden he froze when he felt oddly warm on his right shoulder.

He craned his neck over and sees a tired sponge laying his soft head on him.

His heart then begins to beat rapidly fast and his overwhelming anxiety simply washed away with a light airy feeling in its place. 

Usually, Squidward would automatically try to push him away and yell at him for invading his personal space, but for some odd reason, he didn't.

Instead, he just continued to look on over at Spongebob who was sleeping with his mouth slightly gaped open, like an peaceful angel who fell from the heavens above.

Squidward then, instinctively rubbed the top of his head gently with his free tentacle and sighed.

Well, at least you're here with me. Squidward thought with a half smile as the ride continues to smooth on over to a city where unexpected changes are awaiting for them.