Chapter 9

The next day peeked in as Spongebob slowly woke up and rubbed his eyes, vigorously.

Like their previous night, he was having difficulty sleeping throughout the night.

He even wondered if Squidward was having a familiar problem with it too, but quickly decided to brush that thought off to the side.

He got up from the bed and walked over to the kitchen side of the suite.

Until suddenly he abruptly stopped his movement when he sees Squidward making breakfast for them from afar, by the stove.

Squidward then turned to see SpongeBob and smiled warmly.

"Morning" Squidward greeted.

"Morning. What's all of this?" Spongebob asked while feeling both confused and flattered that Squidward once again surprised him with this type of kindness.

"Well since you've been making food for us for the past couple of days, I thought that I would return the favor. After all, we're still a team here and I don't want my best team player to go hungry on me." Squidward complimented as he started filling up their plates with avocado toast and eggs.

"Oh t...thank you. That's very thoughtful of you." SpongeBob said while rubbing his neck nervously with his cheeks, blushing deeply red as he sat down on the small two-seater table

"You're welcome. Here, this is yours." Squidward said while he places a plate of food in front of him and gives him a full glass of orange juice to go with it.

He then grabs himself a plate with a glass of his own orange juice and sat across from him on the table.

The two started to eat their breakfast in slow silence until Squidward suddenly decided to talk, first.

"Were you able to get a good night's rest?" Squidward asked curiously as SpongeBob jolted from the question and immediately locked eyes with him.

What?! How did he....

SpongeBob thought while answering his question.

"I uh...you... noticed?" SpongeBob asked, with his words nervously stuttering in a fluster.

Squidward widen his eyes for a moment in concern before changing expressions to a tired look and shook his head.

"Sigh. No, but I honestly haven't been able to either and I can't seem to wonder why. So I figured that you were having trouble sleeping to." Squidward said as Spongebob, who was relieved that he didn't question it further and decided to suggest a reason as to why both were unable to sleep.

"Oh. I guess that's because we've both been stressing too much about the competition. And... to be honest, I'm a little nervous about the whole thing, myself." SpongeBob said while lowering down his head.

He didn't want to disappoint him and the last thing that he needed to hear was that he had been a complete a failure to him....or anyone else for that matter.

His thoughts rambled on with worry until Squidward gently placed his hand with his in efforts to calm him down.

Spongebob then immediately looked up at him again as Squidward locked eyes with him and tried to reassure him, otherwise.

"H...hey let's not think about that today, okay? I did promise you a sightseeing tour so that all day well only spend the day together in peace. And that way, we'll only have to worry about it later when we really face the music." Squidward advised as the two slowly blushed from the warmth of their hands.

Their hearts soon started to beat rapidly and their breaths shortening up in a panic.

They couldn't think or speak while their silence carried on a bit longer.

And it was only a matter of time before either of them could blurt out something stupid from their minds.

That is, until suddenly the moment was lost when Squidward pulled his hand back, quick.

He certainly wasn't ready to talk anything, just yet.

"A...anyways, let's finish eating so that we would have time to look at all the places in the area." Squidward said anxiously while rubbing his neck in a sweat.

"R..right. He he. We definitely don't want to miss the best parts of the city, either." SpongeBob stammered in a familiar expression as the two spent the remaining awkward time, eating the rest of their breakfast.

————————————————————————

When they were done, the two then got dressed before heading out.

Since it was pretty breezy outside, SpongeBob decided to wear a nice blue fluffy sweater with brown khaki pants while Squidward wore a brown turtleneck sweater.

Afterwards, they got out of the hotel and walked onto the paved sidewalks to explore the rest of the city that they haven't been able to see since last night.

Of course, initially as it seems to be in the wealthy town of Bottoms Up, the place was full of culture and had even perked up both of their interests too.

There were art museums, music theaters beautiful parks and so much more out there to explore.

While SpongeBob awed once more at all of the stores and even tried to drag Squidward by the arm all over from place to place like a kid that saw candy for the first time. 

Squidward was more delighted with the fact that SpongeBob was having fun and smiling to his amusement.

At first, he didn't know what to think of back there when had allowed their hands to touch.

He even thought about Spongebob panicking over whether or not he knew that he was having problems with his sleep and grew concerned once again.

The little guy didn't need to be so stressed out all the time and yet, some of it was mostly because of him.

He often wondered if he truly was giving him a hard time and tried to think about if there was anything else that he could do to make up for harsh behavior.

His thoughts then soon became a blur and lasted for some time while the two looked around peacefully at some of the stores ahead until suddenly the silence was interrupted by SpongeBob, who insisted on picking out the next place.

"So, where should we go next? That museum over there with all of that art. Oh! Or maybe that music theater that you always wanted to go to. But...I don't know which one to choose. Hmm...what do you think Squidward?" SpongeBob asked as Squidward smiled at him and chuckled a little at his overexcitement.

"Well, whatever you decide to do, I'll just follow along, but..." Squidward was going to say until he purposely paused his sentence to keep him waiting with anticipation.

"But...what?" SpongeBob asked, curiously.

"How about we save the park for sunset." Squidward suggested.

"Why?" SpongeBob asked.

"Because, there's a large hill on it with a nice view and...I want to be able to see the sunset with you." Squidward explained as SpongeBob widen his eyes in realization and begin to fluster a little out of nervousness.

"O...Oh. L...like that time with the pies?" SpongeBob asked with his voice stammering as Squidward bravely grabs his hand again to relax him.

"Yes, except this time, there will be no walls or any bombs for that matter. It'll just be me and you. And if you want, we can even stay there for a bit little longer at night to see the stars too." Squidward said with a familiar blushing expression on his face as he watched SpongeBob's face go from a sudden shock to thankfully, back to a happy smile.

"Okay then. That actually sounds like a really good idea." SpongeBob responded as the two locked eyes with one another for a while before ultimately decided by to resume their hangout and attempted to catch up with the rest of the activities in giggling laughs and pure joy.

Before saving the breathtaking moments for the park, ahead.