Chapter 20

Soon the next day passed by as Squidward got up early in the morning and waited to hear the nostalgic sound of his neighbor's alarm clock with classic laughter to fill in the peaceful silence.

However, it was past the alarm time and no sound was ever made.

"Huh? That's weird. It's 7:30. Shouldn't he already be up by now?" Squidward said as he quickly jumps out of his bed and heads straight to SpongeBob's house.

He knocked on the door but heard no response.

Hmm...

That's weird.

Maybe he got up earlier and headed straight for work.....

Probably... to avoid bumping into me.

Squidward thought, rubbing his head in distress.

Knowing that everything between them was still on edge.

Which got him thinking about last night.

*Flashback:

When they were riding the bus home after the finals were over with their packed up bags from the hotel.

.....And a trophy wedged between the two.

With both wearing two different facial expressions.

After the blur of the publicity surrounding them, had finally faded away.

"Heh, geez Squidward. I've never seen you smile that bright before. I guess it must have been exciting to see that you won, huh?" SpongeBob spoke quietly with a small half smile on his face.

To bury the underlying sadness from his heart.

"Are you kidding me? It's been my lifelong dream to be famous for my cooking skills. Winning that competition has truly make me the happiest squid alive." Squidward bluntly spoke out, confident that he can finally put an end to his feud with the worst ex-boyfriend to ever make his life, miserable.

But in all of that happiness...

He never recognized how much he was hurting SpongeBob.

Whose heart just sank like a broken ship.

Believing that he finally got the answer that he had been waiting for.

Just...

Not in the way that he wanted it to be.

".....Well I'm happy for you Squidward. I really am. I guess I'll just see you at work then." SpongeBob said right as the bus had pulled over to their street corner and parked in place to open its door latches.

Which immediately signaled SpongeBob to jump out of the bus and quickly leave to his house.

Before Squidward could ever get a chance to speak.

*Flashback ended.

"Oh.......so that's why he....sigh. I guess I'll have to just talk to him when I see him at work." Squidward mumbled quickly to himself before getting into his boat mobile and drove straight to work.

Hoping to sort this whole mess out before it gets any worse.

————————————————————————

Of course, once he got to Krusty Krab, he'd never expected SpongeBob to become a no show to his own job!

He wasn't anywhere near the kitchen in the back, at the register.