Chapter 19

From there.

Things got pretty awkward, fast.

As the next two days passes by with the two, avoiding each other's glances.

While occasionally planning off their usual routine of getting through their days.

Without even realizing...

That the tensions from the two have already risen high so quickly.

"So....are you ready for the last round?" SpongeBob finally spoke in a low voice, while still looking away from him at the kitchen during breakfast on the morning of their last competition day.

".....Yeah, I guess I am. I mean, we might as well get it over with at some point." Squidward spoke quietly with a shrug, sipping on a small cup of coffee in his hands.

"And you think that winning this bet will finally make you happy?" SpongeBob asked sadly right as Squidward immediately turns his head at SpongeBob's direction.

With only the distant silence as his immediate response.

Knowing full well...

That even after all this time, the two have spent together on this trip....

He will still be never brave enough to answer the question.

"Okay.....I'll see you downstairs then." SpongeBob slowly mumbled out of their agonizing silence with a small nod before attempting to leave.

Until Squidward thought about he was going to say and stopped him from moving forward.

"Wait!" Squidward blurted out right as SpongeBob quickly pause in his tracks to turn around and face him.

Where the two were then able to look at each other for one small moment.

With both feeling like something needs to be said.

Just anything....

To reassure the other that everything will be alright.

But....

Like a lot of disappointments....

This moment didn't end the way either of them wanted it to.

"What..... are we going to make for the final round? We never talked about what to do for the ingredients." Squidward spoke in a wince voice while rubbing his neck nervously.

Ah....

Of course.

He'd be more worried about that than anything else.

Has he completely forgotten that there are other important things out there besides competition?

SpongeBob thought bitterly before looking at him in the eyes again.

With the most fakest smile that he never would have thought he'd ever have to make.

"Oh, you'll see. I'm going to make it a big surprise to help 'wow the crowd's attention'. I'll meet you at the contestants stage in about 10 minutes. So, don't be too long preparing for your 'big win' Mr. Champion of the Spotlight." SpongeBob spoke in a sarcastic remark before shutting the door behind him.

Leaving Squidward, once again feeling stupid for messing up on his own words.

Ugh.

That's not....