Chapter 8

When Spongebob and Squidward got out of the hotel, they look at the outside view in awe.

Unlike Bikini Bottom, when the fancy town of Bottoms Up reaches to night time, its streetlights glow vividly all around.

Almost as if they were in magic light show.

There was no boat mobiles nearby.

No noises nearby to annoy anyone.

Its was all just peace and serenity.

Which, was very rare back in their hometown.

The two then, started to walk on the sidewalk area of the city and took the time to indulge the calming silence where only the soft, sea breezes drifting just above their heads, make the sounds.

Squidward however, doesn't want this walk to be completely quiet forever and decided to start the conversation first.

"So, what do you think of this place? Was it everything that you expected it to be?" Squidward asked curiously while waiting for the little guy to brighten up, but he hasn't changed much yet during his reply.

"I guess. To me, it's all very flashy and everything but.... in a way, it's kinda of nice." Spongebob answered in a monotone voice to Squidward's disappointment so he tried to use a different tactic.

"Better than Bikini Bottom?" Squidward added, nudging his arm playfully which seems to open him up a little bit.

"Pfft. Nah, nothing can truly compete with home. Especially when I have all of my friends there to see every single day. Like Gary, Patrick, Sandy..." Spongebob tried to list in his usual happy self chirpy way until suddenly he paused at the thought of mentioning Squidward and hesitated from naming anymore.

The agitating fear of Squidward, despite their complicated mishaps and unexpected bondings, starts to further press into his mind that he may never really think of them as anything more than just simple coworkers and neighbors.

For a long time, no matter how much he's tried to block out the negativity with his so-called happiness charm, he can still remember the many insults that Squidward applies to SpongeBob on a daily basis.

With almost all clearly stating the fact that they are not friends and will never be.

His heart started to sink low in agony and pain.

He even begins to wonder if this trip was really worth it.

His doubts then grow heavy while the two were still going through a burning silence in their walk.

What am I exactly to him?

Am I just a helper?

Or is he just only using me as an advantage to make himself look better?

Spongebob thought worryingly as Squidward looked over at him with concern.

"Spongebob, what's wrong?" Squidward asked while he locked eyes with him for a moment before SpongeBob was able to snap out of his thoughts.

"Oh! Um... I was just....thinking about if anyone else that I know would be in Bikini Bottom too. And... then I remembered Mr. Krabs and realized that I forgot to add him to the list too." SpongeBob explained as Squidward studied him for a second before sighing in relief and added in.

"Oh yeah. And don't forget, we have a boss too." Squidward added, hoping to get a kick out his loosely intended pun in attempts to lighten up the darkened atmosphere.

"Yep, good old Mr. Krabs. Bahaha!" Spongebob joked backed in a classic laugh with his smile growing bigger than Squidward has ever seen.

Now there's that dumb goofy smile I've been looking for. Squidward thought warmly, his heart in a complete melt while carrying on the conversation more.