Chapter 8: Joke

Mabel's POV

"Wow, what's wrong with Candy?" Grenda approaches me with a cup of punch in her hand. "She has been drinking that chocolate fountain like crazy." She giggles.

"Well, I might have told her a. . . Bad joke." I stifle a laugh.

"You what?!" She practically screams and catches the attention of half of the people, again. "You know she's not good with identifying or detecting jokes." She says as she sits beside me. "And you're very hard to read."

"I'm sorry, I forgot." I apologize. "Ugh. What am I gonna do now? She probably hates me by now." I sigh.

"What did you tell her?" She asks.

"Well, we all know that I have this huge crush for Gabe, but unluckily; she has too." I start. "And I kinda joked to her that you know. . . To have a competition." I embarrassedly say.

"Oh cream cheese and butterflies," Grenda says. "Yeah, I think she hates you." She says straight to the point.

"Wow, thanks for that. I really feel good by now." I say, sarcasm heavy in my voice.

"You're welcome Mabel. It's great to help." She smiles. Wait? She doesn't detect my sarcasm?

"Grenda, it's just a joke." I say.

"Oh Man! See? I told you, you're hard to read." She sighs.

"Oh come on, let's just find her and explain everything." I grab her wrist and lead her to the cider fountain.

But I wish we haven't gone there. Candy's flirting with Gabe.