Chapter 5: For our Lives

Dipper's POV

The ghost floats towards us and ignites a red flame all over its body. "Revenge." It says as he takes his axe stuck from his head. He seems like a lumberjack by the looks of his outfit and the axe explains it all.

"Pacifica, Run!" I scream as I took her hand and pushed the doors open. We ran across the hallway as we keep on finding a hiding spot.

"Dipper, do you even know how to trap that thing?!" Pacifica practically screams as she tighten her grip on my hand.

"Wait, just give me a second." I say as I struggle to open the journal while running for our lives. I land on the page where it says; "Ghost."

"The only way to trap the Lumberjack is to trap in a silver mirror." I say as I read the words. "Do you have silver mirrors around here Pacifica?" I screams as I could hear the ghost laugh, inches away from us.

"We do!" She says. "But we aren't allowed to go." She says as a flash of fear flashed her face.

"Come on Pacifica, tell me where the mirror is!" I shout as I already feel my feet burn every step I take. "Please tell me." I say. But I could already see a huge mirror in a different room. "There it is!" I say as I ran faster. Her hand still interwind with mine.

"But my parents will kill me If we step on their favorite carpet!" She reasons. As she tugs my hand and pulls me away from the room.

"What are you so afraid of your parents?" I say as I struggle from her grip.

"You don't understand." She says as her voice cracked. "We must find another way." She looks at me straight on the eyes.

I groan in frustration, "Fine," I say as I pull her hand again to a different direction.

"In here!" She says as she jumps through a painting, which appears to be a secret room.

"I think we lost him." I say, referring to the Lumberjack. I say at the floor and examine the room. It was dark. Bookshelves lining up and spider webs present at the ceiling. Couches covered with old, dusty cloths. "What is this place?"

"It's my parents' library. They haven't gone here in years, and probably forgot they had one." She says and looks at both of our hands which was still interwind.

Her cheeks show a shade of light pink and I could feel warm blood rise on my cheeks. "I'm sorry." I chuckle as I let go of her hand.

"It's no big deal." She smiles. Why is she like that? Sometimes she's bad and sometimes she's good to be with. "Hey, thanks for saving me back there." She smiles and says sincerely. "I owe you big time."

"No no no, it's okay. It's fine." I shrug as I wave my hands 'no'.

"No, I insist. Here," She says as she takes her glove off of her hand and lets out for a handshake. "Friends?"

"Yeah, Friends." I smile but deep inside of me, something's telling me it wasn't enough.