6. Missing Him

"Dad left," Ashley said through the phone as she talked to Cooper. 

"What do you mean he left?" 
"Mom told him to leave so he left. But he'll be back in a few weeks." 
"It's all my fault." 
"No it isn't, Cooper, don't say that." 
"I'll make them proud." 
"I know you will, Cooper." 
"And they'll love each other again." 
"Cooper-" 
"You'll see." 

And with that Cooper hung up. He was pissed. He knew Mia was worried and that caused a lot of fights between Steven and Mia. But Cooper didn't think it'll be that bad.  

He was calmed by the sight of his two friends walking through the door. "Hey, Cooper," Carson said. "How'd it go?" Cooper asked.

Carson and Joey had gotten caught with the spray paint and, like the good friends they are, they didn't rat out Cooper. They knew about his dreams of becoming a doctor and they didn't want to risk getting him kicked out. 

"They let us off by the skin of our teeth!" Carson said. "Well, I warned you," Cooper said laughing.  

Carson smiled, he loved the sound of Cooper's laugh. Then he softly shook his head. I can't think like that about another guy. Especially my friend. Carson thought. 

"Sleeping with Scarlette didn't help us any did it?" Cooper asked. Joey shook his head. "What's worse is that I saw the clothes of the guy she slept with the day before. I'll tell you, man. She's a fucking whore," Joey said. Cooper laughed again. 

He knew that even though things were rough with his family back home. Everything would be okay for him.

Mia couldn't say the same. As she cooked breakfast for the children she hated how different it was. Steven wasn't there to wrap his skinny arms around Mia's waist and lay his head on her shoulder. 

Mia knocked on the door to Oliver's room. She hadn't heard him play his drum kit since Steven left. 

"Go away and leave me alone," Oliver said. Mia didn't want to go into his room and try to talk to him. She missed Steven as much as her children did. 

So she went to the phone and dialed his number. He didn't pick up. He had been calling every night so why didn't he pick the phone up now. After trying again and again Mia gave up and went to her room and cried. 

She missed Steven and she couldn't wait until he got back.