22. Uh-Oh

Macy and Cooper were sitting in the lounge room when a new guy, Josh, walked in. "Ya know guys? It's kinda quiet in here!" Josh said. "NO!" Macy yelled. "You said the Q-word!" Cooper said. 

"Dr. Adler! We need your help! Nurse Macy code blue in room 148!" Dr. Madrid called. "Huh, it got busy!" Josh said. "Shut up," Cooper said as he walked out of the room. 

Cooper walked into the hospital room with Dr. Madrid and saw Emily crying into Axl's chest and he rubbed her back. "What's going on?" Cooper asked. "She's having bad stomach pains," Axl explained. 

Dr. Madrid brought out a stand with multiple types of equipment on it and slid it to Cooper. But before Cooper could do anything Emily went limp in Axl's arms. 

"Lay her down!" Cooper said. Axl did as told. Cooper placed an oxygen mask on Emily and slipped an I.V into her arm. "Has she thrown up lately?" Cooper asked as he hooked Emily up to a heart monitor. "Yes, she's been throwing up for the past week," Axl said. "Dr. Madrid we'll need an ultrasound in here," Cooper said. Dr. Madrid nodded and walked out of the room. "Has she had sex lately?" Cooper asked. "I don't know!" Axl said sounding disgusted and worried. 

Dr. Madrid came back with the ultrasound equipment. Cooper rubbed the jelly-like substance on Emily's belly and held a wand on her stomach. He looked at the monitor as he was doing so. "Axl," Cooper said. "What?" Axl asked his eyes widened. "You're gonna be a grandfather," Cooper said. "Ah fuck," Axl said as he madly looked over at his teenage daughter. "Hey, things happen. We'll keep her here for a few days and see how she does," Cooper said. 

Axl nodded but Cooper could tell he was upset. And Cooper could understand. He had no idea how he'd react if Anna got pregnant at sixteen. 

__________________________________________________________________

"Carson! I'm home!" Cooper called as he hung his coat up. Carson greeted him with a kiss on the lips. "Hey, baby, how was work," Carson asked. "Fine, I have something to tell you," Cooper said. "I know, Dad told me," Carson said. 

Anna came crawling over to Cooper and Carson. "Hey, my Anna Grace," Cooper said lifting her in the air. Anna giggled and squealed.

That night as Cooper was lying asleep with Carson pressed against his chest he heard the phone ring. 

Cooper sighed knowing it was work. He crawled out of bed and answered the phone.

"Hello?" 
"Dr. Adler, we need you here. Emily is Miscarrying." 
"Alright, I'll be right out." 

"What is it, Cooper?" Carson asked rubbing his eyes. "Your sister is miscarrying, she's been pregnant for at least three months now," Cooper said. "Oh," Carson said sounding a little disappointed. "Now, go to sleep, baby, I love you," Carson said. 

Cooper walked into the hospital and ran to the assigned room. Emily was crying as the doctors instructed her to push out the dead being inside of her. "I lost it," Emily cried. "It's alright, Emily," Cooper said. "Will I l-lose a-all th-the babies I get pregnant with?" Emily asked. "No, Emily, you won't," Cooper said. "But, I know you're upset over this baby. But don't go out and get pregnant again okay?" Cooper asked. Emily nodded. 

Cooper held back a sigh. Being a doctor was harder than he expected. But he loved it. Sure it had its downs. But it all had a lot of light-hearted moments in it too.