24. Unwanted and Failed

"You know what I'm thinking?" Carson asked as he and Cooper laid in bed. "What?" Cooper asked raking his hand through Carson's hair. "We should give Anna a sibling," Carson said. "Do you think we're ready for another kid?" Cooper asked. "Yeah! We don't want Anna to grow up lonely," Carson said. "Alright, we can get another kid," Cooper said. 

So the two spent an entire week decorating a room to welcome their new child into their family. 

Carson, Cooper, and Anna sat in the new baby's room. "It's perfect," Carson said laying his head on Cooper's shoulder. "What do you think, Anna?" Cooper asked. "Yeah!" Anna said. Cooper and Carson chuckled. 

The room was decorated animal-themed. The walls were light blue with little forest animals scattered about. Along with toys, a rocking chair, and baby boy clothes. 

It was perfect. 

__________________________________________________________________

Cooper sat in the lounge with Macy and Josh. It was a lot different showing up to work without Dr. Madrid greeting him as he clocked in. 

"I DON'T WANT IT!" A woman yelled. 

Cooper, Macy, and Josh looked at each other before running out of the room to see what the trouble was. 

"Ma'am, this is a human child! We'll put him up for adoption but we need some information," Dr. Ash said madly. "I don't want a baby-" "I don't care if you don't want him. The child is here now! There's nothing you can do about it! We have to know this information! Your baby is very sick!" Dr. Madrid said. "I don't care!" The woman said before turning around and walking out the door. 

Dr. Ash turned to the three amigos. "Nurse Macy, call the police," Dr. Ash said before walking away. Cooper followed her. "What's going on?" Cooper asked. "What's going on is that there a baby with a Microform cleft lip, a messed up eye, and scars all over his body. And that mother was on something during pregnancy," Dr. Ash said. "Is it illegal to-" "It's illegal to run off without telling us any information. This baby is going to die if we don't know what's wrong with him!" Dr. Ash said. "C-can I see the baby?" Cooper asked. Dr. Ash nodded. 

She led Cooper to the ICU where the baby was hooked up to wires and hoses that fought to keep him alive. 

Cooper felt tears sting his eyes. "Dr. Adler, are you alright?" Dr. Ash said. "If this baby survives, I'm taking him home," Cooper said. Dr. Ash smiled. "We'll do everything in our power to keep this baby alive," She said as she laid a hand on Cooper's shoulder. "I promise." 

Macy walked into the ICU. "Dr. Ash, the police brought the woman back. She said she attempted to abort the baby but it failed," Macy said. "What?" Cooper asked. "It's very rare that could happen!" Dr. Ash said. "It was an alleyway abortion. She did it because she couldn't get one from a clinic without her parents knowing," Macy said. "Son of a bitch," Cooper said. "Well, we'll do everything we can to keep this little one alive. Which reminds me, he doesn't have a name. Dr. Adler you said you'd take him home if he lives. Why don't you name him?" Dr. Ash said. 

Cooper looked at the baby and thought of a perfect name that will suit the little guy. 

"Ethan Steven Adler," Cooper said. 

I read that Ethan means strong. -Caitlyn.