16. What Hurts The Most

"Hey, Cooper," Macy said leaning against the counter as her coffee poured. "Hey, Macy," Cooper said tiredly. "Long night?" Macy asked. "Anna may be cute and born early but she still cries!" Cooper said. Macy chuckled. "How does Carson like her?" she asked. "He loves her, and by the way, I need to know what you think about this ring," Cooper said. "Wait what?" Macy asked. Cooper pulled out a ring and showed it to Macy. "You're going to propose?!" Macy asked. "Yeah, I figured it was about time I did," Cooper said blushing. 

It was a gold band. And it cost Trump's arm and leg. But Cooper knew it would be worth it. It would be worth it to see Carson's smiling face and sparkling green eyes. 

___________________________________________________________________

"I'm gonna fucking do it!" 

Carson and his band, (The L.A. Punks) we standing by Micheal, the driver, on the tour bus. He had threatened to drive the bus off of the nearby cliff. And the band was pretty sure he was gonna do it. 

"No, I have a boyfriend and a newborn baby!" Carson said. "I don't care what you have to damn queer! I'm driving this bus off of a cliff. I wanna die!" Micheal said. "Mike, stop, we'll talk about this!" Leo (the drummer) said. "No! I'm done talking!" Micheal said. "We're gonna die!" Sally (the bassist) cried. 

Suddenly the bus swerved and crashed through a fence that blocked any cars from falling down the drop-off. 

The only thing going through Carson's mind was, Take care of Anna for me, Cooper. 

Carson knew he was about to meet his end. 

___________________________________________________________________ 

Cooper was hanging out in the lounge room talking to some of the other doctors. "Cooper," Macy said. "Hm?" Cooper asked. "You m-might wanna look on TV," Macy said. Cooper turned his gaze to the TV and gasped. 

The L.A. Punks bus crashed. Leaving Micheal Sith, Leo Tyson, and Carson Rose dead. 

Cooper felt his heart stop as tears were brought to his eyes. He wasn't breathing and he leaned against the wall for support. 

Dr. Madrid jumped to save Cooper. "Cooper, Cooper, hey breathe for me okay?" Dr. Madrid said. Cooper nodded as he struggled to breathe. He began shaking. "Look at me," Dr. Madrid said. "In... out, breathe with me Cooper," Dr. Madrid said. Cooper began breathing along with Dr. Madrid as tears poured from his eyes.

"He's gone," Cooper said falling into Dr. Madrid's arms. "It's gonna be alright, Cooper," Dr. Madrid said rubbing Cooper's back. "No, it won't he's fucking gone!" Cooper cried. 

_______________________________________________________________________

"God, we thank you for the life that you have given us. It is full of work, responsibility, sorrow, and joy. Today we thank you for Carson Axl Rose, for what he has given and received. Help us in our mourning and teach us to live for the living in the time that is still left to us. Thank you for eternal life that can give light and joy to our days and years already here on earth. God, we thank you for your son, Jesus Christ. Let us see that it is he who opens the gate to the life that shall never die. Amen." 

"Amen." 

Cooper stared in his lap refusing to look at the coffin that held pictures and flowers. Carson's body was never found and he was presumed dead. 

Cooper swallowed the lump in his throat that stopped him from breathing. 

Cooper never thought he'd have to see this day. He'll never be able to hold or kiss Carson ever again. He'll never be able to run his hand through Carson's red hair as Carson talked about their future together. Cooper will never be able to see Carson's smile and beautiful green eyes. He'll never be able to hear his laugh. 

And Anna will never know Carson. She'll never know her Papa who loved her with all his heart. Cooper will be sure to tell Anna Carson's story. 

Cooper returned home and collapsed on the bed sobbing. Anna was staying with Steven and Mia until Cooper got back on his feet. 

Cooper didn't that'll ever happen though. 

All he did that night was cry himself to sleep. He didn't want to go to the funeral. It was just a way for everyone to tell him Carson was gone. 

Cooper didn't want Carson to go on that tour. And he wished he would've begged a little more for Carson to stay.

Their goodbye had been a good one. They had their first time together.

"Don't forget to call," Cooper said. "I promise," Carson said. "Be careful,"  Cooper said. "I will, and when I get back I want you to show me how much you love me again," Carson said seductively. 

Carson and his words make Cooper fall in love with him all over again. 

Cooper didn't know how he'd be able to live through this.