Twenty two

Despite being given such short notice, Tessa had managed to throw together an amazing engagement ball. It seemed as though she had been working on it for months, though she'd only had a few days to plan it.

Amelia was well aware that the marriage was one of convenience, a sham designed to restore Cordelia's reputation. But she couldn't help but think that maybe, given time and effort, James and Cordelia's friendship could grow into something more.

Amelia was, unfortunately, a hopeless romantic. She was a lot like Barbara in that aspect. She often saw romances where there were none, even in her own life.

"Mila," Thomas called, hurrying to his sister's side. "Alexander's been asking for you. And Oscar."

Amelia frowned, taking Alexander into her arms. "I doubt Oscar is here. Though Matthew would definitely try to bring him as a joke."

"Are you sure he wouldn't just bring him unironically?"

Before Amelia had a chance to respond, Charles had climbed onto a bench and clanged his family ring against his glass. "Excuse me," he called. "I would like to be the first to raise a glass to the happy couple! To James Herondale and Cordelia Carstairs. I also wish to add that James, my brother's parabatai, has always been like a little brother to me."

Amelia had to bite her lip to prevent herself from laughing.

"As for Cordelia— how to describe her?"

Thomas leaned in to whisper, "especially when one has not tried to get to know her at all."

"She is beautiful and Fairchild as well as brave. I am sure she will make James as happy as my lovely Grace makes me."

"Yes," Amelia said in a sardonic voice. "Because a woman's only purpose is to make her husband happy."

"That's right," Charles continued. "I am formally announcing my intention to wed Grace Blackthorn. You will all be invited, of course."

Amelia caught James' eye. He looked as if he were about to faint. Do something, she mouthed. He nodded.

Charles went on merrily. "And lastly, my thanks go out to the folk of the Enclave, who supported my actions as acting Consul through our recent troubles. I am young to have borne so much responsibility, but what could I say when duty called? Only this. I am honored by the trust of my mother, the love of my bride-to-be, and the belief of my people—"

"Thank you, Charles!" James had appeared at Charles's side and done something rather ingenious with his feet that caused the bench Charles had been standing on to tip over. He caught Charles around the shoulder as he slid to the floor, clapping him on the back. "What an excellent speech!"

The whole crowd seemed entirely relieved that Charles had stopped talking. They began to talk amongst themselves again, their voices nearly drowning out the soft music.

"Have you seen Matthew?" Amelia asked. "Or Aunt Cecily, for that matter."

Thomas' eyes focused on something behind her head. "I'll take Alexander," he said. "It seems someone wants to talk to you."

Before Amelia could ask any further questions, Thomas had taken Alexander from her arms and disappeared into the crowd.

"Amelia?" A voice behind her asked. She turned to see Matthew, his hand outstretched towards her. "Would you like to dance?"

She grinned, placing her hand in his and allowing him to lead her to the dance floor. "Only if you don't leave me again."

"That wasn't my fault! You told me to do that!"