Nineteen

Amelia liked to think of herself as an expert of emotions, especially her own. She knew how to describe anything anyone could ever feel, explaining them with similes, imagery, metaphors, and alliteration.

But love was something she knew next to nothing about. She only knew that it had the power to make or break someone's life. People like Eugenia would try to break themselves down to make themselves more lovable, to become worthy of their partner's love. People like Tessa and Will have found the rarest thing known to man: a partner who will accept you for who you truly are, for better or for worse.

To the best of Amelia's knowledge, love could destroy someone's life or be the best thing in it. She had always told herself that she was too young for love, that she would cross that bridge when she got to it. But now that she was there, did she want to cross the Rubicon, or burn the bridge?

Lately, Amelia had an odd feeling in her stomach that she couldn't explain. It only grew stronger when she ignored it as if it were a child crying in the night. She probably just needed some fresh air.

Amelia rushed down the stairs, ready to leave when she heard a familiar voice calling her name. She spun to see Matthew and Cordelia, both eying her with suspicion.

"Oh," she said. "I take it you're here to see James? He's upstairs."

"Where are you going?" Matthew asked.
Amelia was suddenly very aware of the feeling in her stomach. It was all she could think of as she answered, "I was- I was going to go on a walk."

"You should come upstairs with us," said Matthew. "We haven't really had the chance to talk with either of you these last couple of days."

"How are you doing, by the way?" Cordelia asked.

Amelia gave her a small smile. "I'm alive, aren't I?"

Cordelia's smile fell and her eyebrows furrowed.

"Come along," said Matthew, taking Amelia's hand and leading them up the stairs and to the room James was in. Matthew knocked on the door, not allowing James a chance to protest before opening it.

Amelia heard a sound of surprise from behind the walls, but it was too late; the door was now wide open, revealing James and Grace. For a moment, everyone was silent.

"I should be going," said Grace, smoothing down her skirts.

"Yes, I think that would be best," Amelia said, not attempting to hide the venom in her voice.

As Grace left, Cordelia nodded stiffly. "Miss Blackthorn."

As soon as the girl had left, three pairs of expectant eyes landed on James. "Are you alright?" Matthew asked.

James, however, ignored the question, instead focusing on Amelia. "What the bloody hell was that?"

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"You practically screamed at Grace. She has done nothing to warrant such hostility."

Before Amelia could respond, Matthew butted into the conversation. "Has she broken things off with Charles?"

James unrolled his sleeves, but not before everyone was able to see the silver band around his wrist. "No. They are still marrying."

"Then perhaps she is planning to kill her beloved?"

"Matthew, stop sounding hopeful at the prospect of homicide. She is not marrying Charles for love. She is marrying him to free herself from her mother. She believes his power and influence will protect her."

"But surely you could protect her," Cordelia said in a low voice.

Amelia bit her lip in an attempt to muffle her laughter. She didn't miss James' stare.
"She has made me understand that everything she has done, she has done because she loves me. Now I must do something for her."