Eleven

Amelia descended the stairs of the Institute to see Matthew and Lucie, both dressed in gear.

"Oh, Amelia," said Lucie. "We were just about to go pay a visit to Emmanuel Gast. James is seeing if Cordelia wishes to go."

"Excellent," Amelia said. "Allow me to change, and then we can leave."

"You're not going," Matthew said. "Your sister just—"

Amelia shot him a glare. "Sometimes grief must become action. I am going, with or without your approval."

"She's right," said Lucie. "Go get changed."

Amelia changed into her gear, wearing a white mourning band tied around her arm.

When she returned to the others, Matthew pulled his flask from his pocket and took a large swig.

Amelia scowled. "Let's go."

The three exited the Institute and walked along the streets of London. Matthew attempted to make conversation with Amelia, but she remained silent.

They finally reached their destination. Amelia stood outside while Lucie and Matthew went in to charm their way into Emmanuel Gast's flat.

Eventually, they reemerged. "Blasted woman wouldn't let us in," said Matthew. "I tried everything."

Lucie caught sight of James and Cordelia and called their names. As soon as they were within earshot, Matthew began speaking. "It's a boardinghouse. Lucie and I already went in. The landlady said our old friend Emmanuel Gast was away for an 'indefinite period.'"

Lucie sighed. "The woman is a block of concrete in human form. Matthew was unable to charm her."

James grinned. "Then we go up the side of the building."

"I was afraid of this," said Matthew. "My boots are new."

"Stiffen your sinews, Matthew," said James, "and cry God for Harry, England, and Saint George!"

"I've never liked Henry V," Amelia said, speaking up for the first time. "In my opinion, it was one of the worst of Shakespeare's plays."

"And what is one of his best?" Asked James.

"Hamlet," she replied.

"Really?" Matthew drawled. "I would've thought you liked the romantic ones, like Romeo and Juliet."

"Saying Romeo and Juliet is a romantic play is like saying Macbeth is about honesty and integrity," Amelia said.

"One could make that argument." James produced a grappling hook, threading a rope through it. He stepped back and threw it. Amelia was always jealous of James's remarkable aim. The grappling hook latched onto a window on the third floor. James began to climb, then Cordelia and Lucie, then Amelia and Matthew.

Amelia was about halfway up the rope when she heard a yelp from beneath her. She looked down to see Matthew on his hands and knees; he had fallen.

"Are you alright?" She asked him, concern creeping into her voice. It was rare for him to be this clumsy.

"Yes," he said breathlessly. "As I said, new boots."

Amelia started to climb once again. James had gotten to the top and kicked the window in, disappearing inside.

The inside of the flat looked awful: dim lighting, brown walls smeared with what Amelia hoped to be grease, and the stench of dead fish. She pulled a witchlight from her pocket, illuminating the flat well enough.