Chapter 39

I was sad to be leaving the room that allowed Draco not to be so tense but of course, we had to return to the manor. And just so I was true to my word Draco and I had been outside the Ministry scouting the area looking to see if any recognizable people had been going in and out. There hadn't been any. I thought at one point though Mr. Weasley saw me standing across the street from the bathroom entrance. He didn't approach me or anything because Draco had been walking back with some coffee. Well, Draco detested the fact I had asked him to go talk to a muggle vendor for coffee but Starbucks was a guilty pleasure of mine, I hadn't been able to shake. I didn't know exactly how I was supposed to send my owl back to the Weasley's telling them I would be there at the wedding but I figured I had to somehow. 

"Ready to go?" Draco asked breaking me from my train of thought. I glanced up at him and nodded. 

"Sadly." I muttered glancing back towards the ground letting my thoughts ensnare me once more. I heard him sigh before his footsteps got closer. I felt his fingers lift my chin up so I could look at him.

"I know. I wish we could have more time like this." He murmured. I nodded.

"Soon. We'll be back in school soon." I whispered as I stood up. His expression darkened and I frowned. He was probably thinking of how our last year at Hogwarts was going to go now that everyone knew he had been branded with the dark mark; what had happened with Dumbledore at the end of the year.

"One day at a time." I whispered. He nodded and I stood up and carefully tucked the letter from the Weasley's into my back pocket and he glanced down at it confused as it disappeared into the back of my jeans. 

"A letter." I said as I took his arm. I could feel his gaze on my face trying to gauge my reaction on the look. I kept chiding in myself not to give anything away in my face. It was safer him not knowing. I kept telling myself that.

"From?" He prodded. I frowned and thought about it for a moment.

"Would you leave it at it's better off you don't know for your safety." I said weakly as I glanced up at him.

"Lexi I thought we talked about that." He whispered quickly pulling me to face him. I parted my lips and nodded, trying to think of a way to explain the wedding invitation in my pocket. I chewed on the inside of my cheek for a moment to chew over the words about to leave my lips carefully. I knew Draco would never let me go if he found out about the wedding. 

"We did but it's still better off you don't know. It's nothing bad I-just-it's safer for you." I whispered trying to explain it. He just glanced at me before nodding. He gripped me tighter before starting to turn. We landed outside the manor and I stared up at the gates. 

"They've been warded but we'll be able to pass through the gates though." He murmured as I shifted, listening to the gravel crunch underfoot. He started to walk forward and when he realized I wasn't following him. 

"Alexandria." He murmured softly. I nodded and sighed as I joined him. I took his hand firmly as we passed through the gates. They had molded open around us and then closed as soon as we passed through them. I glanced back at them before looking forward again. When we walked through the front door of the manor it was eerily quiet. I stood still for a minute waiting to see if my uncle wanted to see me. After not being told anything, Draco and I headed upstairs. Inside waiting for me was Courtney. She was laying on my bed reading a book. Draco raised an eyebrow to her. 

"Well, took you two long enough to get back." She commented looking up from my book. I laughed at her. 

"Sorry, we were busy." I murmured. She just shook her head and looked at me with a raised eyebrow.