Chapter 40

Matthew and I stared at each other for a long few moments as our uncle studied us both.

"Well, I must admit I am shocked. Here I thought I was an only child. How many more surprises are we going to throw at me?" I mused. He shrugged.

"I knew about you." Matthew said matter-of-factly. My lips popped open and then pursed together. 

"Wait, what? For how long?" I demanded. 

"For a few years now." He murmured. I stared at him before glancing at my uncle. 

"Uncle please forgive me for what I'm about to say. But what in the hell is exactly going on?" I demanded slamming my fists on the table. I saw the anger flash in the eyes as he stood and I sat back against my chair quickly putting my hands back into my lap. He stood for a moment staring at me, while I kept my eyes glued to the table top. 

"Your brother was taken when you both were born. He was not expected to survive, but a follower that was in St. Mungo's the night you both were born brought him to me. Me and my followers were able to keep him alive. I figured it was time to bring him into the fold now that Dumbledore was dead and the war really starting." He said as he waved his hand. The table started to break down into smaller pieces before disappearing completely. I was trying to process what he was saying. That more than likely how the rumor of mom dying probably spread. She was probably in worse condition and the follower wasn't there later on to confirm it or not and everyone just assumed. I nodded and glanced at Matthew who had a grimace upon his face.

"I take it that dark magic was used." I muttered. Uncle gave a single nod and Matthew's grimace worsened. He wasn't surprised.

"And you've been a Durmstrang this entire time?" I asked. He nodded. 

"Yeah. I spent the summers between school years with Igor Karkaroff until he ran off." He said. I nodded and then chewed on my lip in thought. 

"Okay. So we were separated at birth. Mom and dad presumed you were dead?" I asked as I glanced at our uncle. He gave me a nod. Well, that explains why Dumbledore had never mentioned it. No one knew about Matthew, they all thought he was dead. That certainly threw a kink into everyone's little plans I bet. 

"Then who were you raised by?" I asked. 

"The Nott's" He murmured. I nodded. 

"So, okay then you were raised by a branch of the Nott family. How come Theo never said anything to me before?" I asked. Matthew shrugged.

"I haven't seen him since I've been at school. So roughly six years." He muttered. I nodded as my head spun with this new information. My parents had died not knowing their son was alive. Well, that was heartbreaking to think of. 

"So I heard they found you in the muggle world." He said. I nodded. 

"Yeah, it's been a process." I muttered. He nodded and then we both glance at Uncle who was staring at us as we talked. 

"You both will start dueling, to train your abilities." He said. We both gave a single nod and then he gave us both a dismissive wave and we both got up from our seats and headed out. When we were out the door and it clicked behind us I looked at him. He was about to say something but I held a finger to my lips. He stared at me confused as I started walking. When he didn't follow me I waved him on. He started to follow me as I led him to the greenhouse. No one ever visited there beside Draco and I. When I closed the door behind him I took out my wand. 

"Muffliato." I muttered before I turned to Matthew. 

"Okay, now we can speak freely." I murmured. He stared at me confused.