CHAPTER 8

WEDNESDAY
4:22 PM

Throughout the day, Hakeem had a huge headache. It's been two days since he had something to drink so he knew he was starting to go through withdrawals.

He rocked back and forth as he contemplated about going to buy a bottle of alcohol.

Hakeem stood up.

"Nah, you gotta strong", he said to himself.

Hakeem walked into the bathroom to take a shower and let the water run over him.

(WITH JORDAN)

Jordan walked into Tyquez's office and sat a stack of papers on his desk.

"You better be lucky I like to read", Jordan said.

"Actually I'm lucky to have you as my assistant", Tyquez replied as he stood up.

"So lucky that you'd let your assistant off early?", Jordan asked with a smile.

"I would but she still has work to do", Tyquez replied. "Oh and by the way, we are having the annual office party on Saturday. Everybody gets a plus one"

"Oh okay. Sounds nice", Jordan replied. "Who are you bringing?"

"Me? Nobody", Tyquez replied. "But I know you're going to bring Hakeem right?"

"Yea. He always comes. I just make sure he doesn't drink", Jordan replied.

Tyquez nods. "That's good", Tyquez said.

"And Ty...please don't make things awkward. He suspects us and I told him we weren't but...I don't know. Just address me as Mrs. Williams and I'll address you as Mr. Johnson. Keep it professional", Jordan said.

"Or course I will", Tyquez replied. "I have no reason not to be. Besides you said to keep this a secret and that's what I've been doing"

"Yet your brother knows", Jordan said.

"What?", Tyquez asked.

"Oh come on. I'm not stupid. I know you told him", Jordan said.

"Alright. Yea I told him. But it was just him", Tyquez said.

"Yea well I told my sister so we're even", Jordan said.

"You have a sister?", Tyquez asked.

"Yea why? You wanna see what she has going on too?", Jordan asked jokingly.

"Girl bye", Tyquez said after he sucked his teeth and walked toward her. "Get back to work alright?"

"Sir yes sir", Jordan replied as she bit her lip.

Tyquez looked her up and down.

Jordan walked out of the office and back to her desk.

———

After Jordan got off of work. She went home.

When she walked into the house and heard something fall in the kitchen.

"Keem?", Jordan called as she put her things down.

"Yea. Im fine", Hakeem replied.

Jordan walked into the kitchen and Hakeem was leaning against the counter.

Jordan looked around to see what fell but she didn't see anything out of place.

"So...how was your day?", Jordan asked.

"Good. I was looking up some rehab centers", Hakeem said.

"Did you find anything? Do you need me to help?", Jordan asked.

"I found something. It's about 40 minutes away from here", Hakeem said.

"That's not too bad", Jordan replied.

"Yea. I just have to wait for an opening", Hakeem replied. "Until then I just gotta thug it out and not drink"

Jordan walked closer to him and put her arms around him.

"You can do anything you put your mind to", Jordan said.

"...you really have faith in me?", Hakeem asked.

"I always did", Jordan replied.

Hakeem kissed her.

Jordan smelled and tasted alcohol on his breath. But she didn't say anything about it.

"I'll cook. You go relax", Jordan said.

"I can cook. You always cook", Hakeem said.

"No. I'll cook in honor of you getting better", Jordan said.

Hakeem nods.

"Go ahead and chill on the couch. I got this", Jordan said as she took her jacket off and placed it on the chair.

Hakeem walked out of the kitchen and Jordan opened the cabinets that Hakeem was standing in front of and saw a bottle of Hennessy. It wasn't a lot drunken from the bottle. It is more that half way full.

Jordan sighed and shut the cabinet.

"One step at a time right", she mumbled to herself.

TO BE CONTINUED....