1: In the Heat of the Night

A/n: Welcome to the 3rd installment in my "Demon Slayer: Yokai Wife" series. This is sort of like a Cinderella story, so...thank you and hope you enjoy!

•• ━━━━━━ •❀•✿•❀• ━━━━━━ ••

The radiant and dazzling lights of Asakusa aligned the nightly sky.

The air was hot due to it being in the middle of summer, but it wasn't quite the hottest night Tengen has ever experienced as the Sound Hashira settled on top of a building─while polishing the sharp edges of his nichirin cleavers free of tonight's kill.

Today's mission had gone pleasantly smooth, despite the vile demon being quite a mischievous and tricky foe to find.

Luckily, Tengen had prepared himself meticulously, ensuring he'd brought his A-game just in case it had been an upper-moon. But thankfully it wasn't, and the day had gone by with a hitch.

"Fuck, I'm tired..." He yawns, stretching his strong muscular arms, muscles flexing in the process, and joints popping here and there.

Tengen can feel the weight of exhaustion settling in his bones. The day had been long and demanding that he simply couldn't wait to get home, take a bath, and enjoy a nice warm meal before going to bed.

"I hope Suma, Hinatsuru, and Makio aren't too worried about me being gone for so long." He inhaled deeply, his fuchsia-colored eyes gazing up at the moonlit sky.

"Well, best not keep them waiting!" He says, standing before wrapping his twin blades and placing them onto his back.

Leaping down from the roof top, Tengen stepped out onto the street and immediately entered into the nightlife.

──────────────

Each shop, restaurant, and inn along the bustling street showcased their individuality through vibrant lights and captivating signage, designed to mesmerize and persuade onlookers.

However, despite the array of colorful paper lanterns, street lights, posters, and banners that adorned the bustling marketplace, each one more unique and eye-catching than the last, none of these displays seemed to interest Tengen.

There was a jewelry store that had beautiful necklaces, earrings, and bracelets with colorful gemstones on display. And though he had to admit it, some of the jewelry did look beautiful, all shining with rhinestones, diamonds, and silver. But, with his sharp eyes for gemology, Tengen could clearly see that a majority of them were all fake and didn't have any value.

Yet, there were some very real and colorful rocks and gemstones that tickled his fancy, which he knew would make lovely souvenirs for his three lovely and devoting wives back home.

"HEY, GET BACK HERE YOU WENCH!"

Tengen heard someone angrily shout and quickly averted his eyes towards the alleyway, only to see a figure dart from around a corner. They were being chased by a man!

Upon closer inspection, Tengen realized that the figure was a young female with really long, matted (hair color) hair that seemingly draped over her entire face and person, almost looking like a veil of some sort.

Tengen's eyes narrowed as he frowned, watching as the man who was still hot on her trail tried to grab her. But cleverly, she duped him by running the other way.