Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Nag-stay lang ako sa bedroom ko all weekend. I logged out of all my social media accounts to keep myself away from the drama. I haven't even seen a single photo from the JS Prom. How could I even do that? We were together yata in every photo.

"Ma'am Debbie?" Manang said after she knocked.

"Hmm?"

"Gusto po kayong maka-usap ng Mommy niyo," she said. I didn't say anything back. I'm sure pinapa-check lang ni Mommy if I was in a bad mood because if yes, hindi siya papasok. She's always been this way.

"Hey, Debbie," Mommy greeted. She sat down at the edge of my bed. I turned off the TV. "How are you, sweetie?"

"I'm fine," I said before pulling up the sheets. I wanted to go back to sleep. At least when I'm dreaming, I could escape from this reality.

"Pupunta ako ng nail salon, wanna come?"

I shook my head even if I was facing the window. I felt Mommy move closer to me.

"How about we go shopping? I heard sale sa Zara ngayon."

"I'll just shop online," I replied. 

Mommy was quiet for the next few seconds. My forehead creased so I turn around, only to find her packing my bikinis in a suitcase.

"What are you doing, Mommy?"

"Magbi-beach tayo. Get up and get dressed!" she said as she picked from the two sets of bikinis in her hand.

She glanced at me and saw the annoyed look on my face.

"Debbie, you can't just stay here all weekend," she said. I shook my head. "You know what? Just go wherever you like. Just leave this room! If you don't get out of your bed, I'm dragging you with me."

When Mommy left, I didn't comply right away.

I went back to sleep and come afternoon, I mustered up a courage to stand up from my bed. Nagpa-drive ako kay manong to Bailey's place. It was the apartment we went to nung na-late siya for the leadership training.

"Good day po," I greeted the landlady. "Is Bailey here po?"

Her forehead creased. "Bailey? Sino 'yun?"

"Uhm... he's about this tall, maputi, his eyes are round and his eyebrows were kinda thick tapos his hair's wavy—"

"May kakilala ba kayong Bailey?" she asked the tenants na nasa comp shop behind her.

"Walang ganun dito, miss!"

The landlady shrugged. "Sorry, 'ne. Walang Bailey dito."

I sighed. Nag-thank you ako sa kanya tapos I turned to leave na. I was walking back to the car when I heard the mothers na naglu-lullaby ng baby na mag-usap.

"Ay, oo! Nung nakaraan pa nga nag-ansabalutan!"

"Talaga?"

"Balita ko nga e nag-advance payment na dahil uuwi ng probinsiya."

"Hoy! Mga chismosang 'to!" the landlady came to make taboy them from her apartment. "Ginawa niyo pang headquarters 'tong apartment ko!"

My heart was beating so fast as we drove back to the house.

I needed to find out where his province was.

* * *

Everyone's stares were on me as I walked in the hallway.

They would usually wave or approach me to say hi. It was very different now. Gumi-gilid silang lahat when I get close to them.

"Break na ba sila ni Bailey?"