Chapter 16

The sky was inky black by the time we left the store, twinkling stars slowly emerging from behind a thin layer of clouds.  Jack had agreed to walk me home. The street lamps had flickered out, the dull orange glow not even there anymore. The car park was pitch black, with a few drunkards loitering in the corner. We waited for Mick to lock up, escorting him to his car safely.

“So I’m coming in late tomorrow. Probably after lunch. Think you can manage?”

“Yep.” Jack nodded. “There’s loads of us.”

“Where are you going?” I asked.

“To see my Father. Not seen him in a while, feel guilty.”

“Oh? Where does he live then? Near here?” I asked politely.

“Kind of. Um, actually, he lives in the Woods. This big forest, beautiful big green trees, I never go for walks there though. I’d get lost!”

I looked up at Jack and smiled, squeezing his hand. He looked slightly uncomfortable, so I let go, letting the cool nights air rush between us. He stifled a yawn and I noticed for the first time, in the dim light, the bags of tiredness under his eyes.

“I love those woods.” I smiled.

“Yeah. He lives in this cottage, right in the middle. He takes such care into it, he plants so many flowers around it. It really is beautiful. Such a confusing walk there though. I had to mark the trees just to remember the way there!” He chuckled as he unlocked his car. “Need a lift?”

I didn’t respond. I vaguely heard Jack mutter a ‘no, thanks’ but I wasn’t paying attention. My insides froze with fear as I digested the information. The old man. Was Micks’ father. He had been killed. And Mick was about to discover him. And I had left his body there. Alone.

But what had happened?

**********

Jack’s POV

“Bye.” I muttered as Gemma entered her house, a pool of light on the concrete steps. Then the pool of light disappeared as she shut the door, and I was alone, in the dark.

Okay. Back into panic mode.

Mick was going to the Woods tomorrow.  To the cottage.

That was just one of the things weighing down my conscience.

He lay there alone… whilst we fled.

And Mick. He was Mick’s father.              

I paced down the street, mind racing.

Every step was faster, harder, matching my heart beat.

And my paranoia increased as I entered the dark woods. This was the worst bit. Coming home in the dark, through the woods.

If I lived where I’d told Gemma, I wouldn’t have to go through the woods.

But I didn’t.

I’m sure, if she knew where I really lived, she wouldn’t let me go through here on my own.

But she didn’t.

I flipped my phone out and shone it in front of me, as I stumbled through the dark woods. I weaved through the trees and tripped over tree roots, until I saw a small orange glow in the distance. I breathed a sigh of relief as all the imaginary sounds my over active, over panicked brain was making up faded away, and the orange glow grew.

The low hum that was laughter and chatter increased until I could distinguish Amber’s voice.

“Where’s Jack? He’s been ages.”