Chapter 13

Okay, Chapter 13, here it is :)

it's really really short, but contains some important stuff. The description is not good, but the content is important. This chapter is so short and really rushed, sorry!

The house to the side, pretty :) ------------->

Enjoy:)

**************

The old, oak door groaned painfully as I pushed it open and I winced at the sound. Everything seemed louder when you were trying to be quiet. I couldn’t even believe it was open. As soon as I stepped inside I was hit with a pungent smell. I couldn’t distinguish it exactly, but the stench wafting up my nostrils wasn’t nice. I wrinkled my nose and the door clicked shut softy.

I looked around. The walls were patterned with pink flowers, and immediately my mouth formed into a grin, despite my heart thumping against my chest wildly, as if about to break free.

The floor was shiny, black and while tiles. Odd combination next to the intricate pink flower patterns crawling up the wall but hey. My converse squeaked against the floor and I groaned inwardly. There could be people in the next room, and I was entering their house! And I didn’t know why!

I stepped lightly down a narrow hallway. Light filtered through the windows falling in soft patternson the wall. I came to a small room, and peered around the door. It was empty, and my heart slowed down slightly to a pitter-patter. I cautiously stepped in. The same wallpaper covered the walls. There was a leather chair, worn and weathered. An old TV was perched in the corner, as well as a huge oak bookcase, a sheepskin rug planted in the middle.  Next to the television, there was a chest of drawers. One of the drawers had been pulled open and left there. I advanced towards it, heart doing a dance. My breaths came out in short rasps as I came towards the drawer. Breathe, Gemma. Breathe.

Reaching it, I saw it was filled with white material. I gingerly picked up the white material, hands shaking furiously. I fingered its soft material, recognising it to be fine cotton, with smooth, lacy edges, cool to touch. I unfolded it and it tumbled down, revealing itself. I gasped quietly at the simplistic beauty of the dress. It was so familiar though… my mind flashed back to Amber, her pale skin, matching her white cotton dress… with lacy edges… I realised with another gasp that the dress was exactly the same.

I rooted through the drawer, only to find several other of the same beautiful dresses.

The fine cotton and silky lace was so rare, and yet identical to Amber's.

A sudden crack of thunder rapidly brought me back to reality, and I remebered that I was standing in a strangers cottage, and that they could  come back at any moment, and here I was, frozen to the spot on their shiny tiled floor, holding up their precious finery.

But while my sensible side was screaming at me to leave, that I was doing something probably illegal, curiosity overwhelmed me, blanking out rational thoughts, and I crept into the next room. Before I saw anything else I was faced with a steep staircase, darkness engulfing the top of the stairs.

My eyes swept over the rest of the room. It was bleak, just a fireplace in one corner, and…

My stomach droppped.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing.

I wanted to tear my eyes from the horrific sight in front of me, but I was frozen. I couldn’t move. Time seemed to stop as I took in the old mans face, frozen in a contorted facial expression, showing utter pain. He was completely still, and ghostly pale. Beside his head was a pool of crimson blood. And next to that was an earring, a gold, four-leaf clover earring.

*************

End of chapter 13, very short, but hope you liked it!

Cliffhanger ;)

what did you think? unexpected? please vote and comment! please! I'd love to know what you think! xx