Chapter 17

Jack’s POV

I stifled a yawn as I clumsily stepped of the wooden platform of the old wagon and stepped into the early morning, dappled sunlight. I breathed out a blissful sigh as my feet moulded into the moss, last night’s troubles almost forgotten, just lurking at the back of my conscience.

The woods was peaceful, a small, crackling fire going, sunlight blazing through the trees, birds tweeting happily, a few people milling around in the sunshine.

 I felt the puffy bags under my eyes. I’d not slept for days. When did it come to this?

I found my trainers next to the fire, tainted with ash. I slipped them on and sat on a log, careful not to stain my cream Nike shorts I was wearing to work today, matching my smart, navy blue work shirt.

“Good morning my dear.” Old Maggie appeared by my side, and gave me a toothless grin. Her wild grey hair was in huge tangles, resembling a birds nest. She too had bare, grubby feet – a travellers trait.

“Hey Maggie, y’know, someday, birds are gonna start laying eggs in that hair of yours!” I flashed her a charming smile. He face creased into laughter.

“Cheeky beggar, you! Breakfast is on the table, get it, before the little un’s do!” She gestured to the small table behind her, and then to the Wagon’s that were now stirring with sounds.

I stepped over to the table. There were jugs of water, tea, coffee, and juice, and a bowl of fruit, pineapple, orange, strawberries, pear… I filled a bowl with a generous selection. After gobbling it down within a few big mouthful’s (frequently being told by people I was a greedy pig) I sipped at my drink and collapsed back on the log, consumed with tiredness from lack of sleep. It was no wonder.

“Hey, Jack.” My Mamma wandered over and sat beside me. “It’s good to see you. We’ve both been so busy lately…” She trailed off and I managed a nod, sipping my drink. All I wanted to do was curl up and sleep, but my conscience wouldn’t allow it. At least I had one. I thought, as Amber pranced over, grinning, wearing the same freaking dress.

I turned back to my Mam, crouched over the flickering flames. She was threading sausages and other meats onto sticks, and slopping eggs into a pan, starting up the typical traveller breakfast.

“Need help?” I offered, placing down my drink.

She turned to me, her face lighting up with a smile, before creasing into concern, vivid, field green eyes filling with worry, the same startling green Amber and I had inherited. “Jack, are you okay? You look exhausted, my darling. I don’t need help. You shouldn’t be going in to work today.”

My eyes connected with hers and they searched mine. I willed my thoughts and feelings to flow into hers through our gaze, to tell her everything. Her sympathy was making things impossible.

“I-I’m alright. Just tired.” I mumbled, willing myself not to blurt everything out, the whole, sorry tale spilling out, a jumble of incoherent words.

“You shouldn’t be going to work. Take the day off. Relax.” She turned back to the meat, hands fumbling. Her red curls bobbed around her shoulders, shining in the dappled light. People may have opinions on how travellers looked after their appearances, and my Mam’s clothes, bare feet and grubby hands fit stereotypically into the traveller look, but her hair was a different matter. It’s vivid, rare colour, natural curls and glossiness were here proudest features. It was identical to my sisters, if not more amazing, and accompanied with the eyes, meant they looked very alike, except  my Mam’s easy tan skin contrasted with Amber’s ghost like skin.