Chapter 26: Journey

The best people
Are not the ones above or below you,
But the ones beside you
~ Amalia

_____________

The next day...

The Royals knew exactly what they were doing while trekking through the dirt, mud and huge trees in the large mountains of Célimène.

Bella was unusually serious with her head busy thinking about the families who possibly could have betrayed her father.

Amalia was grunting as the sun kissed her skin. She was no fan of sun light while Adhevin didn't even show a bit of irritation walking under the sun.
The small unit of troops followed the four silently. In fact they knew the mountains better than Ayan and Bella as they were natives so they suggested the shorter route.

The soldiers were all dressed up in the finest of armour with a Cresent embedded in it indicating the pride of their Kingdom and carried various weapons. The four were dressed in the lightest of leather and the strongest of armour that shone in the sun. These armour had the ability to change according to the form of the soldiers enabling the armour to protect them even in wolf form.

The leader of the twenty men in the unit suddenly spoke, "I'm afraid the soldiers need a little rest, Your Highness. They have been walking around without food and water for hours now."

The four Royals stopped. Ayan looked back at the soldiers who were covered in sweat. He walked towards the man who just spoke and understood he was the head of the unit as he bore a Cresent moon on the chest of his armour. He started sweating profusely as Ayan was two inches away from him.

"I see.." Ayan looked at the name sewed on his chest as if he didn't know already. "Gary is it...Alright we'll rest for a while here," his voice echoed in their ears and the leader of the unit, Gary, stepped back after bowing.

Ayan walked back and sat down on a rock beside Bella. Amalia sat down under the shadow of a tree to avoid the sun and Adhevin was slanting on the tree with a bored expression.

The soldiers were filling themselves with the food they carried along in their backpacks. The leader, Gary was sitting quietly clutching to his body and clothes.
The Royals were just sitting quietly without making a conversation.
It's been an hour by the time Adhevin's patience ran out. He stood erectly and groaned when sunlight hit his face.
"Are we just investing all the time we got in resting?" His voice was laced in irritation.

Gary immediately stood as the Royal spoke and the soldiers followed him immediately.
Ayan stood as well and slowly walked next to Adhevin and instead of replying to Adhevin he directly looked at Gary and said, "I'm assuming your guest is running a bit late."
Gary's eyes widened at this but he quickly regained his composure and said, "Who are you expecting, Your Highness?"

Bella stood up now as she thought it was funny at how he was acting. She ran her hands through her hair and said, "It's such a bummer that we should reveal the surprise you have for us."

"I'm not sure what you are talking about princess.." his voice was tremulous.
Bella let out a small laugh at how he was still trying to play dumb but before she could scare him away with words her friend beat her to it.

"You know it's also considered treason to lure the Royals into enemies den right Mr. Colonel?" She didn't drop any honorifics and respectfully made him tremble by stating the fact. Bella smirked at Amalia who winked back at her.
At this being said Gary started to tremble. He knew his death has come for treason was an unforgivable act. He in fact couldn't say anything about it. The soldiers eyes widened in shock as they didn't expect their leader to be a pawn of someone's game.