Chapter 18: Breaking Court

When you said "It's my turn now"
I knew I had raised you just right...
~ Ayan

------------------------------

In the Kingdom of Célimène
In the city of Aylin....

Isabella Black was walking. But her stride today was not that of a young women but that of a queen out for vengeance. Beside her was her brother Ayantiac Black walking in a similar fashion. The trial could have been dismissed if Ayan hadn't accepted to it, but he agreed to it to show the citizens in his kingdom that no one can escape from a sin they commit even if it's the king himself. 

Today was the day of trial in Aylin which took place in it's open air arena. The case was about the murder of Fletcher Cunningham for rape and murder of the young women named Anna. Sassandra Cunningham had filed a case against Ayan and today was the official royal hearing. If it was a usual case then Ayan would be the one giving judgement but today an elder took his place to provide a clean judgement. Everyone in the court was aware that the King woudn't do such a thing but decided to go by the rules as per the King's request. 

That night as Sassandra was screaming, the royal guards had arrived at the scene along with Lucian and Sebastian who were helping Ayan to find Isabella. After seeing the scene they had been struck dumb and upon Ayan's orders started to clean the area and gave the corpses a proper burial.
Now that all of the funeral process is over Ayan had been summoned to the court for a hearing and this was where they were headed to.

The arena was filled with people who had come to show their support for their king. Sassandra stood at the left side of the arena and in the centre was a podium in which a few chairs had been kept for the elders to sit. Wolf packs usually have a few elders who oversee all the working of the pack and one of them was the one who had been summoned to offer the final judgement. Mark Hiller was the elder currently sitting in the chair. He was well over a 100 years old and was known for his sense of justice. Around him were a few other elders sitting.

Sassandra came forward and spoke "Elder Mark, I am the wife of the victim, Sassandra Cunningham-- here to seek justice from you today".

Isabella also came forward and greeted him "Good morning Elders. I am Isabella Black and today I will be the one speaking behalf of my brother"

"The Princess? Your majesty why are you sending a young child that too a women to speak for you in this matter? Do you see this court as a joke?" One of the elders spoke.

"I don't see this as a joke! In fact I treat it very seriously that's why I have sent forward my most competent comrade to speak" Ayan spoke with pride clear in his voice.

The crowd was starting to feel anxious worrying how their playful princess was gonna handle such a serious matter.

"Dear elders I am sorry if my presence made you feel that way but I can assure you I am here today as a sister. A sister who can't take the shame that has been put on her brother so I would like it if you give me this opportunity to speak" Isabella spoke with clarity.

"I appreaciate your will to help your brother Bella, but am afraid you can't do so. You are not a certified scholar in law and you doing this is against the rules of the court." said Elder Mark.

"I am aware of that Elder Mark, however a family member has full rights to speak behalf of the victim or the assailant of their family in the court. I'm sure you are aware of that." said Bella reminding him as a matter-of-fact. The time she spent in the library didn't go to waste.