Chapter One: Xanthus

FIRST CHAPTER, LET'S GO!!

And Xay's POV! :D

WC: ~600

Enjoy!

Xanthus smiled as he walked around the End City. Watchers wearing rich purple cloaks bowed their heads in respect as he passed by, their silver masks now worn over their chests instead of on their face as a tribute to what they used to be. Xanthus nodded at them in mutual respect, his bright red eyes glittering with appreciation.

He walked down a corridor, the amount of Watchers he happened to see passing by decreasing the further he got. Xay sighed softly and opened a door, leading him into the throne room.

The throne room.

That was where it all started, that was where Grian had been teleported to Hermitcraft. Xay's fingers traced the burns on the wall where Grian had been hit with Zena's magic. A small, side project of his was trying to figure out how it had happened, considering Zena had no intention of doing what she did. Unimportant now, but still interesting.

Xay stared at the wall for a second longer before launching into the air, flying to a certain place right outside the City.

The cliff of the standoff.

Xay stood at the edge, staring down into the swirling Void, staring down where Grian had fallen. He sat at the edge of the cliff, not diverting his gaze from the Void.

It was honestly just plain unfair how Grian had been taken.

Grian had done so much in such a short amount of time.

Xay smiled softly. He thought back on his days as... well, an outcast. Stuck at the bottom with no way of rising up. He had escaped the Watchers years ago, hand-in-hand with Xisuma, the pair of brothers dreaming of a better world, a better life.

Only Xisuma ended up making it.

And Xay was forced back with the Watchers, his life falling apart in front of his eyes. Pushed to the very bottom, tending to hostages and prisoners, fellow Watcher outcasts and stolen people from other servers.

Little did he realize how much that horror of a task would benefit him later.

But he was nothing back then.

And now... he ruled the Watchers.

I went from nothing to... too much.

Xay sighed and extended a hand down into the Void, closing his fist on in imaginary hand. Wasn't blaming oneself Xisuma's job? So then why did he feel so guilty?

I couldn't have done anything, Xay told himself firmly. I wasn't even that close to Grian, why do I feel like my heart's been ripped to shreds?

A hand went to the pointed mask worn over his chest, two extra, smaller points at the top of the mask right above the signature, larger ones. A special mask, a mark of leadership.

I'm responsible for every Watcher now... maybe that's why I feel so horrible.

I failed.

Xay shook off the guilt, reminding himself that at the time, he was just some lowly prison guard. Not responsible for all of the Watchers.

Unfortunately, guilt isn't that easy to get rid of.

"You shouldn't have died," Xay whispered to the Void. "You shouldn't have. It- it wasn't fair, or-"

It was about then Xay realized that he probably looked insane and should stop talking to the darkness.

The Watcher stood up, staring down for a moment longer before turning around and heading back towards the End City. He was about to enter when suddenly, his communicator buzzed, twice in a row. The indicator of an important announcement. Xay opened it up, dread sinking in his stomach as he read the message.

<Xisumavoid> Everyone, report to the Town Hall. We have a problem.

Uh ohhh

-Storm