Epilogue: Xanthus

THE EPILOGUE-

HELL YEAH HERE WE GO, RSTR IS COMING TO A CLOOOOSE!!

WC: ~500 (tiny 'lil epilogue)

Enjoy!

Xay stared down into the Void, his feet dangling over the edge of the ledge he sat on. He held his head in his hands, thoughts flying in his head like the paper airplanes in his old geometry class.

Things had actually worked out for once, and it left Xay feeling like he was about to fall off a cliff, only to be grabbed by someone right as he fell.

Left him shocked, relieved, and spinning for a reaction.

"You have that dumb face on again," Hels's voice came out of the blue, and there was the sound of someone landing by him. Xay didn't look up, just shrugged and continued staring in the Void.

"What's that?" Xay asked.

"Your thinking face," Hels told him. "It never means anything good." Xay's laugh was strained.

"You're right about that," he admitted. The pair were silent for a second.

"It's kind of amazing, isn't it?" Xay whispered. "What we started with compared to what we have right now."

"You've already given this speech," Hels noted, leaning back on his hands. "Like, twice."

"I can't get over it," Xay sighed.

"Evidently,"

Xay rolled his eyes, pulling up his legs to sit with them crossed. He put his elbows on his legs and held his head in his hands.

"I'm going to ask you a question," Xay said slowly. "Because I trust you to tell me the absolute truth."

Hels stayed silent, waiting.

"Do- do you think that I'm actually cut out to rule the Watchers?"

Hels sighed.

"Yes, yes I do," he replied. "You're definitely cut out for it, but not with that attitude. If you keep doubting yourself, then you'll make the wrong call, and we'll have to overthrow you." Hels's tone was dry and sarcastic, drawing a small laugh from Xay.

"I guess so, yeah," he mumbled.

"Did you guys ever get permadeath off?" Hels asked, switching the topic.

"Yep," Xay replied. "Xisuma broke into the system and fixed it, once we got him a new communicator."

"Oh, great,"

The conversation went dry again, silent and somewhat awkward.

"It started with a mistake," Xay murmured. "Grian was teleported to Hermitcraft. No one trusted him. He started talking to people, they voted for him to stay. There was an incident, the glitching incident, and I made an internal mindspace connection with him. Then he brought Bdubs and Keralis back. I accidentally traded him out for Etho." Xay turned to Hels.

"They could've left him," he whispered. "They could've gone 'Great! There's that problem solved!' and then left it there. But they didn't. They went back for him, into the Hive of the Watchers."

"Yes, it's called gaining trust," Hels remarked. "Why are you talking about this, again?"

Xay smiled fondly at the Void.

"It's just a thought. So much in such a small amount of time." Hels sighed again, a smile on his face this time.

"Just a reflection."

"Of a redemption."

-Storm