Chapter Seven: Xanthus/Mumbo

Mandatory Grumbo fluff. Sorta.

Enjoy it while it lasts!

And yes, this chapter took me two weeks. Juggling a lot between this, FF, school, and EAH, which has been eating away at more of my soul than my time. So thank y'all so much for your patience, and let's get into it!

WC: ~700 (rhau vibes, am I right?)

Enjoy!

"I've checked the code sixty-three times, counting," Xisuma sighed. "Nothing is wrong."

"Check it sixty-nine times," Xay grumbled under his breath. "Maybe that'll give you some luck." Xisuma tilted his head at Xay.

"Is that like- your lucky number?" he asked. Xay bit back a smile and shook his head.

"More of an... inside joke," he corrected. "Never mind."

"Alright then," Xisuma chuckled. "But anyways, I don't get it. How did permadeath get turned on??"

"I have a theory," Xay's voice was soft. "But I don't like it, and I don't think you will either."

"Go on," Xisuma sighed.

"I... I think Zena is messing with the code," Xay said slowly.

"She's dead, isn't she?" Xisuma said, sounding confused.

"She's not," Xay's voice dropped even softer. "I... I think she's trying to reach me. Internally. I'm getting signals, almost like whispers, in my mindspace. It's not like the signals that I got from Grian, which were desperate and a cry for help. These are threats. Sort of ominous and evil, like she's trying to stealthily stab me from the inside out."

"What does that have to do with the code?" Xisuma asked.

"Well, do you remember that rumor?" Xay continued. "That Zena had previous Admin training? What if it's true?"

"Xay, there were rumors that Zena was a descendant of Notch," Xisuma said dryly. "And that she was posing as a simple Watcher but was secretly an all-powerful player that would bring us prosperity and would wreck the Voidwalkers."

"And there were rumors that I was the one that snuck an endermite in that annoying kids room," Xay noted. "And those were correct, so evidently, rumors can sometimes be trusted."

"That was you??"

"Does it matter? But seriously, I think she has the ability to hack into the code, change the death settings, even though that's forbidden technology, and then make some sort of cover-up thing that masked her tracks."

The two were silent for a minute.

"And if that's true," Xay added. "Then Hermitcraft is in major trouble. And so are the rest of the Watchers, and probably the Voidwalkers too." Xisuma stared at him for a second, probably considering.

"You were right," Xisuma sighed. "I don't like it."

POV Shift: Mumbo

Having Grian back was possibly the best thing that could have happened to the Hermits.

Except for permadeath being turned off.

But that was irrelevant.

"So, this is your base?" Grian asked, nodding at the hobbit hole.

"Starter base," he corrected. "Kinda like that house." Grian laughed.

"That house," he snickered. "Was a dirt hut with a shell. I sure hope this isn't the same."

"It isn't!!" Mumbo laughed. "It has an interior!! But speaking of starter bases, don't you have to make one too? Because you're staying with us?"

"Oh!" Grian grinned at Mumbo, and something inside him flipped. "You're right!! Huh, I should probably find that, then. Come on, let's go and see if we can find a good spot!!"

Grian grabbed Mumbo's hand and dragged him away, the pair laughing.

This season is really starting to look up.

A little while later, they'd started building, Grian wanting to do most of the work but leaving simple things- like placing some blocks or glass, or making comments- to Mumbo.

I can't believe he's back.

Mumbo stared at Grian as he worked.

I can't believe that we got him back.

Grian caught him watching and beamed at him, and Mumbo smiled back.

I can't believe that everything is going fine.

I'd say we're onto a winner.

Grian pressed his fingers to his temples, a sudden expression of pain on his face.

"Is something wrong?" Mumbo asked, concerned.

"I... my mindspace..." Grian mumbled. "Did- you never mentioned if you took care of Zena..."

Mumbo's blood ran cold.

"We didn't," he said slowly. "She might still be out there, or she's dead. We're not sure."

"Oh, she's not dead," Grian laughed darkly.

His eyes flashed lavender.

"She's right here."

Back to violet.

Grian and Mumbo stared at each other for a moment, fear coursing through both their veins.

"Let's tell Xisuma."

OH SCUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD-

Sorry not sorry.

-Stom