Chapter Fourteen: Operation: Normal

Ichi's P.O.V.

April, Donnie, Leo and I shared a pizza booth at the now renovated pizza parlor. A pizza topped with worms was brought to the table and Donnie and Leo dug into it like savages.

April and I exchanged disgusted glances and then back at the boys. "Is that pizza looking at me?" April asked, gesturing to the blue, moving worms.
"Eat us, we are delicious," the food said monotone.

"Ichi, you've got to try some of this," Leo insisted, mouth full of food.

"I wish just once we could go to a normal pizza spot," April explained.

"Well, we could, but you know we can't go into human places with, uh, this whole situation," Leo gestured to Donnie and himself. "Embrace it, April, you're just a magnet for weirdness."

"I know, it's just... sometimes a girl just needs normal" April sighed.

"What do you mean? What's not normal about this?" Donnie asked with the food in his mouth. Meanwhile, Frankie blobbed onto the stage and said, "Okay, birthday boy! Get ready to party!" Leo and Donnie suddenly put up their menus and hid in them. Without warning, he exploded into slime, which splattered on everyone around him.

I shielded April and myself best as I could from getting hit with Frankie's pieces. "Oh, Exploding Frankie never gets old," Donnie chuckled.

"I'm going to class," April sighed. "Come on, Ichi, let's go."

"Alright," I agreed as I wiped the slime off of me.

Later...

School began and I was waiting for April to arrive in Biology. The teacher, however, assigned me to sit with Veronika, behind Zac. "No amount of whining will get you to change that seat, Miss Watanabe," the teacher asserted.

"Ugh, I have to sit with Wannabe now?" Veronika whined. I was so not in the mood right now. I slammed my book on the table we both shared, and said, "It's Watanabe, you little brat," I seethed. Zac let out a low chuckle while Veronika struggled to find a comeback.

April burst into the classroom, panting. "So, everyone has their lab partners," the teacher projected. "No! I'm a partner-less freak!" April cried.

"Miss O'Neil, this is science. We leave emotions at the door. You can partner with our new student."

A dark skinned girl bound in and greeted April. I think her name was... Suntetta? Something about her was, well, off and oddly familiar. She seemed really nice, but I was getting this eerie vibe all around her. But her boots were really kinky, though.

April suddenly dived into the floor and I realized she was trying to act normal in front of the new girl. They brought out their phones to exchange numbers. I wasn't paying any attention to Veronika and instead focused on the new girl.

Later, again...

April and I were walking together, and she told me of the new girl, Sunita. She brought out her phone and was about to text the girl. As she was waiting for the screen to load, Leo popped out of some random trash, startling the both of us.

"You guys have gotta come. Mikey found some invisible paint, and we're gonna put it on Dad's tail," Leo said.

"Oh, cool!" I excitedly exclaimed, before April flashed me a half-amused 'really?' look.

"I love you guys, and def send me pics, but now that school's over, I'm just gonna chill and have a nice normal day," April said, stuffing her hands into her pockets. Donnie slid down from the fire escape, hanging from the ladder upside down.