Chapter 11

Once we got back to the station with Sebastian in tow, to Aaron's dismay, Hayley took my son out to the parking lot to play with the sirens. I went to update the captain.
    "So Ashlee what's your take on the New Berlin case, should we butt in?"
    I sighed and shook my head before answering, "I really don't know Capt. I mean all the pieces seem the same but there's no forensic evidence to link them at all. I only say that because we have nothing in the Olsen case."
    "True but if it's the same guy, maybe he left something behind this time." The captain said trying to sound hopeful.
    "You know just as well as I do if this person was the killer of both families, most likely they were as careful the second time as the first time." I replied then added, "The Olsen family was their first go around that we know about and they usually get better, more careful, not worse."

    Having Sebastian visit proved to be relaxing for everyone at the station. There is just something about having a happy kid around that makes everyone smile. By the time we got home Bash was pretty exhausted and couldn't resist telling Aaron every detail of his day at the station. I listened for a couple minutes then headed towards the door because I had told my dad I'd help out at the bar so I needed to go. Unfortunately Aaron jumped up and met me at the door.
    "Ash we need to talk." He said with a serious look on his face.
    Oh shit, I thought, this is not going to be good. "It's gotta be quick Aaron, I need to be at dad's bar in twenty minutes."
    Aaron rolled his eyes and replied sarcastically, "Gee thanks for putting such a short time on talking. Does our son's welfare mean so little to you?"
    I glared at him and said, "Don't you ever question my concern for Sebastian's welfare you ungrateful prick!"
    "At least I got your attention." He replied with a sly grin.
    "What the hell is this about Aaron?" I was getting annoyed very quickly.
    "You need to take Bash tomorrow night." Aaron said plainly.
    "Should be no problem, unless something comes up at work." I replied knowing there was more to this but honestly not caring enough to ask. When he didn't reply I figured our chat was over so I turned to leave.
    "Well that's not good enough Ashlee." Aaron said almost pouting. "You have to watch Sebastian tomorrow end of discussion."
    Knowing this tone usually led to a temper tantrum if Aaron didn't get his way I replied, "Alright, Aaron, not a problem." I waited a few seconds then added, "Are we done here?"
    Aaron gave a big cocky smile and said, "I have a date. I figured a little home cooked dinner, the right music, some candles and the deal is sealed."
    I laughed, "Yeah that and you have no money to take a girl out on a proper date." I laughed a bit harder then added, "Is your mom coming over to cook for your big date? Wouldn't want to have to rush your date to West Allis Memorial before you get a chance to seal the deal."
    "Very funny smart ass, you're just jealous that I actually have a social life."
    "Is that the best you've got Aaron, really? Trust me you have nothing I'm jealous of."
    "That statement just proves you are a bitter lonely bitch."
    "Whatever dumb ass. I've gotta go do something you're too lazy to do, work." I said a bit louder than I meant to but his stupidity was just pissing me off. I heard him yell something while I stormed up the stairs to my apartment.

    "My, my, such harsh words from the parents of such a sweet little boy." The killer whispered from her favorite spot in the bushes outside the detectives house. "What kind of man will sweet Sebastian grow up to be with such dysfunctional parents. You should be careful detective or someone may have to teach you a lesson you'll never forget." The killer finished with an evil grin crossing her face.

    "You're late!" My dad yelled as soon as I entered the bar.
    I rushed behind the bar and gave him a hug and said, "Sorry Dad, Aaron decided it was a good time to pick a fight when I dropped off Bash."
    "Useless prick." He grumbled. "Worst son in law I never had." He added with a slight grin.
    "Nice Dad. What do you need me to do?"
    "We've got thirsty people at the bar, what do you think?" He said with a laugh.
    I grinned and began to take order while he joined a table of his sop buddies. This was their celebration of the sixth anniversary of him getting shot in the line of duty. Hell of a thing to celebrate but these four never missed it, even if it was a little late.
    Six years ago I had the best and worst days of my life in the span of forty-eight hours. The best obviously was the birth of Sebastian, which my father was present for, then a few hours later he went to work.
    Joe Morris was a lifer on the beat. He had never wanted to move up the ladder at the department because he loved being on the street. So while Bash and I slept at Children's Hospital my dad was out keeping Milwaukee's streets safe. About one in the morning him and his partner stopped at a Speedway for coffee, they found themselves caught in a robbery turned shootout. I was woken at three am to be told my dad was rushed to surgery at Froedtert Hospital with three gun shot wounds, two to the leg and one in the neck. Several hours later the surgeon told us they were able to repair the damage and stop the bleeding but he had taken a fourth shot to the chest and they were still concerned about the bruising and potential internal bleeding. The shot to the chest had hit his bulletproof vest but the velocity of the bullet caused some severe damage, he wasn't out of the woods yet. It took him two days to regain consciousness but at least he was okay.

    Now every year, when they can arrange it, he and the other three cops involved in the shoot out meet up to celebrate. They drink way too much beer and tell old 'war' stories to anyone who will listen. As I see them I can imagine Hayley and I doing the same thing years down the road, only I hope neither of us gets shot between now and then.