Chapter 46

There was a knock at my door and I just knew what the news would be. I opened the door and saw a nervous Hayley. "You took Jenna into custody right?"
"How did you know?"
"I just had a feeling." I admitted. "Do you really thing she's responsible for the murders?"
Hayley sighed and said, "That's what the evidence says."
As we sat down on my futon I asked, "What evidence did you find that made you take her into custody?"
"Well there was a notebook filled with addresses from different parts of the country. At least the cities on our radar though she claims it's not her handwriting. There were also pictures of known victims in the back of the notebook." Hayley said.
"This all seems too convenient doesn't it?" I questioned.
"Yeah it does." Hayley reluctantly admitted. "I don't know what to think at this point. I mean Jenna is crazy, I told you that repeatedly when you two were dating."
    "But?" I butted in.
    "Was Jenna a really good actress?" Hayley asked.
    I shook my head, "Not at all. She sucked at lying, it was one of her more endearing qualities."
    "Any hint of multiple personalities?"
    I laughed, "Crazy obsessive maybe but Jenna isn't certifiably crazy. Where are you going with this Hayley?"
    "Well she was acting a little crazed but I'm not sure if she is this crazy I guess." Hayley said. "She seemed scared to death in that interrogation room and I figured our killer would be a bit more composed honestly. But it could just be an act."
    "So what are you thinking? Charge her or keep looking?"
    "For right now we investigate her. I already asked Chyler to get a warrant to search her house. Hopefully we'll find the murder weapons there and the case will be closed."
    "Well good luck with that, I doubt she has changed much in her housekeeping. You may be searching for a while." I said with a smile.
    "What's that supposed to mean?" Hayley asked.
    "Jenna's house was always a mess. I'm not sure if she knows how to throw anything away. Also the last I knew Jenna didn't own a car."
    "I haven't gotten a chance to check that out yet." Hayley admitted. "That may be a problem if she doesn't but who's to say she didn't borrow a car from someone, legally or otherwise."
    "I guess." I replied. "But just be prepared, you may not have the right person on this one."
    "Right now I gotta work this like we do every other case Ash. Jenna is our only suspect, with a little bit of evidence to back it up. Circumstantial as it may be, it's what we have."

    The killer felt more nervous than confident. She couldn't remember being this nervous before in her life. She was hoping to produce one more masterpiece before her final act but given recent circumstances she had to speed up her timeframe. Would there be enough time for both?
    She didn't like feeling rushed but she had no choice. As far as she could tell Ashlee was no longer involved with the investigation which pissed her off. Ashlee had not been at the portrait studio or any of the potential victims homes and her video feed told her the detective had not left the house, even with her ex in police custody. She wasn't sure if she would have time to complete her final play but she had to try. In a matter of hours the perfect family would be hers.

    Cain had started acting funny. This was the last thing I needed at the moment. The investigation seemed so close to completion though I could not be the only one doubting Jenna's guilt. I had the feeling that if Jenna was really innocent, the real killer was setting her up.
    "Who had access to those lockers?" I asked Hayley after she had fully explained what had happened at the portrait studio.
    "Well the owner obviously and I suppose either Tara or Sandra who are the other women on the team. But the lockers are locked, the owner didn't even know the combinations off the top of her head."
    "So in theory one of these three women could have set Jenna up?" I asked.
    "In theory yes, I guess." Hayley admitted. "But they all seemed genuinely shocked according to the officer who interviewed them."
    "Come on Hayley. If you were a cold blooded murderer trying to frame someone else you'd appear shocked too." I responded.
    "True, but honestly Ash you're too close to this case now with your ex as our main suspect. Jenna is fucking crazy."
    "Partner, you are a bit too close too." I pointed out.
    Hayley shrugged, "Yeah maybe. But is this really so unbelievable to you?"
    "Honestly at this point I won't rule anyone or anything out." I admitted. "But I want the correct person going down for this, not some sort of decoy. If Jenna is not the killer then my family is still in danger!" I replied firmly.

    The killer knew it was time. She couldn't wait any longer to create her final masterpiece with Jenna in custody. She was slightly sad she wouldn't get to complete her current project but then again maybe she could. She figured she could run by the Mastro family's house, create a masterpiece then take care of her final project. The police would never know what hit them, especially with the Mastro's home only blocks from Ashlee's house. It would be perfect.

    After Hayley headed back to the station I decided to pay Aaron a visit. Although we haven't always gotten along, he was still one of my best friends and I needed someone to talk this out with.
    I found Aaron cleaning up in the living room, "Hey Ash, what's going on?"
    "A lot actually, got time to talk?"
    He smiled and said, "I've got a few hours til I gotta pick up Bash."
    "You mean they actually had school today?" I joked. I knew our son was at school, that was part of the reason I came down to talk to him.
    "Right! I never remember MPS having so many days off when we were kids." Aaron laughed. After several moments of me not saying anything Aaron spoke up again. "So what's going on Ash? I can tell something is bugging you."
    "That obvious hey?"
    "Give me a break Ash, we've known each other nearly our whole lives and I'm not as dumb as I act sometimes so what gives?"
    "They made an arrest in the family killer case."
    "That's good, right?" Aaron asked seeming confused by my lack of enthusiasm.
    I took a deep breath and said, "They arrested Jenna."
    Aaron thought for a moment, probably trying to place the name. "Wait, your ex Jenna?"
    "The very same."
    "Oh that's bad." He said then added, "You really think she's capable of this?"
    "That's the problem, I don't." I said with a sigh. "Hayley said they found some damning evidence in her locker at work but I just don't see it. She's not that violent of a person."
    "Well she did hit you once." Aaron reminded me.
    I just rolled my eyes, "Yeah once and only once. There is a huge difference between a tiny domestic violence incident and murdering at least five families."
    "I know." Aaron said putting his hands up as if surrendering. "Two totally different things, no need to get defensive."
    "I'm sorry Aaron. This is just bugging me. My gut is telling me she didn't do it but the evidence found points to her."
    Aaron shrugged and said, "So go talk to her."
    "I'm officially off the case Aaron, I can't interview the main suspect."
    "Go in and talk to the Captain, I'm sure he'll let you talk to her. I mean the killer did threaten us, shouldn't you be allowed to ask why?"
    "It doesn't quite work like that Aaron."
    Aaron walked up to me, grabbed my shoulders and looked me in the eye. "You're going to drive yourself nuts if you don't try. You need to find out, for your own peace of mind, if Jenna is the killer you've been looking for."
    I sighed, "You're right Aaron, thanks." I gave him a hug then turned to leave.
    "Did she confess?" Aaron asked before I left the room.
    I turned and replied, "Not that I know of. All Hayley said was she wanted to talk to me and knew nothing about the crimes."
    "Well, be careful. This psycho may still be out there." Aaron said. "Oh, if you're interested and have time my girlfriend is coming over for dinner tonight, you're more than welcome to join us."
    I smiled and said, "I just may take you up on that. Also can I bring Cain down here? She's acting funny and I don't really want to leave her alone for very tong."
    "No problem. I'll set her up in the basement since Zebbie hates it down there." Aaron said.
    "I almost forgot they don't get along. Are you sure you're okay with having her down here?" I asked.
    "It'll be fine. Any sign of trouble I'll close the basement door." Aaron said with a smile, "I'll come help you bring down her and her stuff."