-2- The Castle in the Woods

The fact that it was noon was almost a foreign concept. The trees stood almost as tall as the castle, and they matted and twisted in such a way that light was almost inconceivable.

The castle itself was a dark grey, laced with navy blues and golds. It stood proud like it should be the king's own palace, but the ivy and disarray on the outer walls protested that claim. If the legend was true, it would make sense that the outer walls were in such bad shape. The knight simply couldn't go outside to clean. I saw a small stable in good condition, so I tied Rosie up there and went to venture inside alone.

Normally the fact that the castle exists would be enough to convince the others to come check it out, but something told me to keep going alone. Something in me from the very beginning had told me that this was my quest. This was the adventure that would fulfill my hungry spirit.

"Hello?" I opened the door with one hand, the other on my bag, "I mean no harm."

Inside there was a garden, fed by some unknown light source. My guess would be magic, but by whom I would never know. The garden was filled with lilies and orchids. I was tempted to take one for Tokoyami, but then I saw them.

In the center of the garden was a circle of rose bushes. But the thing was, when you looked at the roses themselves, they held an ocean blue hue. I found myself gravitating to them like the moon to the earth. A slow walk around the bushes, then slowly getting closer. I found my hand on the rose's stem, and the other hand found the dagger I had with me. That's when I realized I hadn't brought my sword, only the dagger attached to my messenger bag.

I brought the dagger low on the rose's stem, leaving plenty of room to hold the rose in a vase. The stem had very few thorns making it easy to hold.

"What are you doing!?"

The voice stopped me with the rose in my hand. I had been caught red-handed. This voice was echoing and deep. If I wasn't filled to the brim with fear, it would be enchanting. I held the rose with hands on the stem, being careful not to cut my finger.

In the doorway to the inner sanctum of the castle, I saw a figure. Everything around them was dark, leaving everything to my imagination. All I could tell was that if we got in a fight, I would lose.

"Why would you take a rose from my garden?" His voice made me want to back away, but I couldn't move, "That's despicable."

I looked at the rose in my hands, they were right. That wasn't the right thing to do, especially since I sort of knew these belonged to someone, "I'm sorry. My friend who gave me a map to your castle likes roses so I wanted to give him one. But you're right. I should have asked first."

The figure stepped forward, revealing their build, but nothing specific, "You have to pay for your mistake."

"Of course, I can pay in gold or adventure."

"I want you to stay with me."

They stepped fully into the light. They were masculine presenting, tall and muscular. He wore formal boots to his knees, an open shirt with another shirt to cover the opening, fingerless gloves, a cape hanging over one shoulder, and glasses. The entire outfit was adorned in Navy blue, creamy white, and gold. His eyes were a blood red, flickering into a blue so dark it was almost black. The only thing offsetting about any of it was the hair that gave him the appearance of a werewolf.

Werewolves were creatures that only exist in legend naturally. Demons, devils, spirits, mermaids, sirens, genies, and so many more. All of those existed, but not werewolves.

My guess was this was the 'cold, uncaring monster' Mina had mentioned in the story, "I'm sorry?"

He had more authority when he repeated his demand, "The price you must pay is that you will stay with me in the castle."