|04| She's Hungover But I'm Sure As Hell Not

|04| She's Hungover, But I'm Sure As Hell Not

June 21, 2012; 6:30 a.m.

"Girls, breakfast!" Aunt Val hollered from downstairs. I wasn't really asleep, but looking at my clock, I could tell why Amaya was so crazy. It was 6:30 a.m. Who makes breakfast and wakes someone up this early- especially in summer? I couldn't stop thinking about Evan and his gorgeous eyes. I needed to get my mind off of him somehow. Something awful will work. Aunt Valerie's cooking it is.

As I walked downstairs, I heard the door to Amaya's room creak open. We had only gotten home an hour a go. I had to wait in her car until she came out. She looked awful. Her face was a light shade of green, and she had extremely visible bags under her eyes. Not to mention, she reeked of alcohol.

"Come on," I whispered, helping her walk back to her room. I hadn't been in here yet. The walls were a deep shade of purple, with posters of My Chemical Romance everywhere. It even smelt like smoke in here. She laid down in her bed, and I put a bucket next to her. "I'll tell Aunt Val you have a migraine." I said.

"Thanks, Taissa," she croaked. I went into the bathroom, and tied my hair back. As I brushed my teeth, Evan's face popped into my mind. I wish I was hungover- maybe I would've forgotten everything. I hopped downstairs, walking past the large breakfast Val had on the table. It looked great, but I knew the taste wasn't anything close to that. I'll just go out and get something.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Val asked, rubbing her hands on her apron. Her dirty blonde hair was in a pixie cut, and her green eyes light up when she saw me come down. Her chubby cheeks were rosy.

"No, I'm actually not very hungry." I lied. My stomach rumbled.

"Where's Amaya?" she asked, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Oh, she's not feeling very well. She's sleeping right now." I lied. Again.

"Okay then. Looks like I'll be eating a large breakfast." She patted her stomach. She really doesn't need to eat a large breakfast. No offense, Aunt Val.

"Can I borrow the keys? I need to explore." I asked. She nodded. I grabbed the keys, and ran outside. I let out a sigh of relief once I had gotten into the truck.

As I drove around town, I knew I was lost. I had been driving around aimlessly for 30 minutes. Shit. I pulled over, and grabbed my phone. I typed in coffee shops in St. Louis, Missouri. A lot of places popped up, and I chose a place called "Sadie's Coffee." It had 4 stars, and it was really close to me. Once I got there, I felt as if I was about to pass out. I was starving. I hadn't eaten anything and kept it down since I was back home in New Jersey three days a go.

A classical song was softly echoing throughout the shop, which had a few people inside. As I got in line, I got a sinking feeling. What if Evan were here? I quickly dismissed the thought, chuckling to myself. What are the odds of him coming to coffee here, of all of the places in St. Louis?

"Hi. What can I get you?" the lady at the register asked me. I read her name tag. Emma.

"Can I get a cinnamon bagel with creamed cheese on the side? Oh, and a large black coffee." I requested, pulling a $10 bill out of my sweatpants pocket.

"That'll be $7." she said. I handed her the money, and she gave me $3 back.

"Okay. What's your name?" she asked.

"Taissa." I responded.

"Okay, Taissa. We'll call your name when it's ready." Emma assured. I nodded, and walked away. I sat on a leather couch, and pulled out my phone. It was 7:30. I had been gone a while for fresh air. Hey Val, I texted, I might be a little late. I got myself a little lost! Everything's good, though.

"Taissa?" a voice called out. My order was ready really fast. As I walked up to the counter, no food was there. I suddenly recognized the voice. I turned around, and saw Evan standing there. A smile was plastered on his face. I started sweating. That's all I remember before I fainted.

***

Author's Note:

Thank you so much to all of the reads I have so far! This story takes place in the summer of 2012, when Taissa was 17, and Evan was 25. I just wanted to clarify!

x sami