Chapter 4

ADELAIDE

I spent my free hours at Gee's. We did oral quizzes and I made her a song about the anatomies of a bunch of animals. Mas madali kasi mag memorize kapag kinakanta.

We also did some mnemonics. She is a degree holder in Bachelors of Science Zoology and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM). She is now in the middle of reviewing for her licensure examination.

Ginger is studios unlike me so she would literally study everything and she does not care if she dies from studying. I want to be there for her. She got thinner than before so I know she's been stressing a lot. That's why I never say no to any food that she wants to eat.

I got out of the car and went straight to my office at the fourth floor. I am working at Hernandez&Enriquez law firm. I choose to work in a private sector so that I am free of deciding whether to accept a case or not.

I checked some of the confidential files from last month and organized it according to the dates it was filed in the court. I also reviewed the three cases that were handed to me. I am working on my pc when Patricia Bonifacio, my secretary entered the office.

"Atty. Fausto, may gustong kumausap sa'yo. She's on the waiting area." Patricia informed me. But I did not respond until I finished what I am doing.

"All right, let her come in an hour or so." I glanced my wrist watch. "If hindi siya makapaghintay, let her go." I uttered in a flat tone.

I expect her to obey and leave ngunit nanatili pa rin si Patricia sa aking harapan. Napalingon ako sa kanya.

"Ano?" I asked in annoyance. She smirked giving me 2 flash drives.

"This is what Aze gave me the other day. I suppose you are in need of whatever's inside it." She said before turning her heels away.

Inilagay ko ang flashdrives sa bag ko at nagpatuloy na sa pag-aayos ng mga nakalatag na papeles. Karamihan nito ay minor lang, confidential documents and legal papers gaya ng nangangailangan ng Affidavit at Notary note. I can finish it in an hour so I did not waste any time.

Kakatapos ko lang mag ligpit nang sinalubong ako ng isang pamilyar na mukha. Sobrang pamilyar na nakakailang na. She entered the door from outside and stood in front of me uncomfortably.

"Good afternoon, Atty. Fausto." Isang binibini ang bumati sa akin.

"Same to you, Mrs. Raymundo." Ngumiti ako ng tipid at iginayak siyang umupo sa harap ng table ko. Umayos ako ng pwesto sa swivel chair at isinara ang laptop.

"What can I help you with?" I asked habang tinitiklop ang laptop.

Natahimik saglit ang paligid and I can feel she's tensed. She breathed in and out then she spoke.

"My marriage is going downhill. I want to annul my marriage with my husband." Nanlaki ang mata ko sa kanyang rebelasyon ngunit hindi ko ito ipinahalata.

"In order to help you, I must know all the information and details of the happenings when you both became incompatible with each other." Paliwanag ko sa kanya na may bahid ng simpatya.

"Niloko niya ako." I can feel that she feels uneasy but she is trying not to. Napayuko ako sa narinig at napaisip saglit.

"Isn't that enough reason para iwan siya?" Saad niya ulit. I know those words mean deeper. She's digging something in the past at the same time.

"It's not heavy enough to file an annulment. The court would only advice you to get a priest's/pastoral counseling or go retreat with your husband... for healing." It's what usually happens. Most of people still believe that forgiveness is enough to fix what's broken.