Chapter 23

GINGER

3 months before College

Nandito kami lahat sa living room. My brothers are standing, hands are on their pockets, right where mom is seated. I am sitting right in front of mom while dad is adjacent to us both.

"Ginger, it will only take 4-5 years. We'll soon be back here during holidays, summers, christmas or even birthdays. If hindi mangyari yun, your dad will be the one to go to England." My mom stated. 

I'm silently crying avoiding all of their gazes.

"Rafaela, let your daughter decide. If she wants to stay, then it's okay. Nandito naman ako." It was dad. He is rubbing his palms looking so concerned about our situation right now.

Ang gusto kasi mangyari ni mommy ay pag-aralin ako ng pagmomodel sa London. It was her shattered dreams when she gave birth to Genesis, our eldest. Iiwan namin si daddy mag-isa dito cause he needs to look after the company and the welfare of those animals we sheltered.

"It's easy for you to say, Benjamin! How could you look after our daughter? Huh? Ikaw mismo masyado kang busy sa kompanya. You know she's better with me in London. Dito, magiging madungis lang ang anak mo kaka linis sa mga dumi ng kung anong hayop." My mom uttered. 

She's close to her rage right now.

Hindi na ako makapag-tiis na manahimik na lang. I am fighting for what I truly want. Di bale ng ano ang sasabihin niya.

"Mommy. I want to take Zoology. Ayoko mag model. Tito Paterno assured me that the University have competent professors who will be able to help me learn to the best extent. Just trust me please. This is what I want." I begged her. But she isn't moved, she remained emotionless.

"Ginger, you don't know what's best for you yet. You could be so much more than a mere Zoologist! That's why you are coming with me whether you like it or not!" She shouted.

Her voice echoed throughout the whole area. Even our maids are frightened to serve us our water. I looked at Dad, he looked worried, and now my brothers, they were both looking at me with a sad face. 

I'm totally helpless. I couldn't take this any longer or else I'll just die from disappointment. 

I stood up and grab my get go bag, it's placed in a mini table near the entrance door. I heard someone called me but I didn't bother stopping and just went my way.

I drove to the farthest club and tonight, I'll redeem myself. I don't get why I feel so invalidated. I drank a lot of Jack Daniels and some cocktails.

I was already tipsy when decided to go to the comfort room to pee. I checked my phone and switched it to airplane mode para hindi na nila ako macontact. When I was done, I got out of the cubicle.

That moment, I saw a tall girl folding her clothes. It looked like a uniform, she slid it in her backpack. Is she a waiter? Or a bartender? She's got the prettiest eyes I've ever seen. 

She looked at me, tila nagtataka.

I smiled and slowly walked towards her. I attempted to touch her chest when I finally reached her.

"Hoy miss?! Okay ka lang... nueginagawamo?" She asked, hesitant to push me away or just catch me.

"Are you free tonight?" I smiled flirtatiously.

Malakas ang gaydar ko kaya I'm trying my luck.

"Paki mo? Tabi! Nakaharang ka." Saad naman niya. But I didn't move. Nanghihina ang mga paa ko at para bang anytime mawawalan na ako ng malay.