Chapter 8

Seven years old.

"Look, look! That's a C and that's a D, I know all of them!" Blaine said, showing Kurt the keys on the piano.

"What's that one?" Kurt asked, pressing one of the black keys.

"... I don't know, but I know all of the white ones." Blaine said, smiling. "I go to lessons every Wednesday after school, and I'm going to learn how to play the piano. My mom said I'm very talented."

"That's cool Blaine." Kurt said smiling. "I wish I knew how to play."

"Maybe you can learn too, or you can learn something else and we can play together." Blaine said.

"Like what?"

"Like... like the drums!"

"The drums?" Kurt said, frowning. "No, I like singing."

"What are you two up to?" Pamela asked as she walked into the room.

"I'm showing Kurt what I learned on the piano." Blaine said happily.

"Why don't you two go outside and play for a bit? It's really sunny." Pamela said, chuckling when both boys ran outside.

"Look at the swing my dad built for me." Blaine said, showing Kurt the swing in his back garden.

"That's awesome." Kurt said, sitting on one of the swings and kicking his legs back and forward. Blaine joined him, both of them swinging together.

"My mom said I might be getting a puppy." Blaine said.

"Really? When?"

"I don't know, but she took me to a place to look at all of the puppies, and we're going to go again tomorrow." Blaine said, continuing to swing.

"I like cats better. When I'm older I'm going to have one hundred cats." Kurt said, grinning.

"That's a lot of cats." Blaine said, eyes wide. "I think I want two dogs, and maybe one cat."

"That's boring, one hundred cats are better." Kurt said, swinging high.

"Bet I could jump off the swing, it would be like a back flip." Blaine said, getting higher and higher.

"Don't do it, you'll die!" Kurt said, worry in his voice.

"No I won't, watch." Blaine said, swinging for a bit longer, then jumping off. Kurt cringed when he heard a crack.

Kurt got off the swing gently and rushed over to Blaine, seeing him sobbing as he held his right leg.

"What's going on? Who's hurt?" James asked, rushing to them.

"Blaine tried to jump off the swing and hurt his leg, I heard a crack." Kurt said, standing back and biting his lip.

"Can you stand on it, Blaine?" James asked, Blaine tried, but it only caused more pain and made him cry more.

"This sounds like a trip to the hospital; I'll need to take you home Kurt."

"No! I want Kurt to stay!" Blaine said through sobs.

"But you need to go to the hospital Blaine." His dad said.

"I want Kurt to come!"

James sighed, but agreed, not wanting to make Blaine more upset.

He picked up Blaine and took him to the car, buckling him in and telling Kurt to get in as well.

"I need to take Blaine to the hospital; I think he's broken his leg." James said to Pamela, picking up his phone and wallet.